MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 04, 2020, 12:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Wick Woes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Wick Woes  (Read 13494 times)
Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »

It's a pain, isn't it - especially when they look fine after pouring then go all cracked a couple of hours later  Angry

yep it's enough to drive you mad isn't it?!  I have even had 1 or 2 candles which looked fine when poured, when cooled they had developed a massive hole in the wax near the wick!  Not sure if this was from pouring too hot or something.
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »

Found this on the candle science website, its worth a look  Cheesy
www.candlescience.com/video/choosing-the-right-wick-size.php

Just had a look at this - thanks so much for posting the link, it is really useful to be able to see the effects!

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 04:15:22 AM »

hi, sorry I'm late to this. hi, menolly - I have used the ecosoya advanced and am now using the CB135 - I went mad in the beginning as every where I looked online, I got a different answer. I started be going straight to the manufacturers site and used their instructions - horrid. So, I called around t some suppliers and they told me to pour when "slushy" - depending on the FO that seems to be between 100F and 115F. I don't preheat the jars but when the house is busy, I pour into the jars while they're on a cookie sheet (is this called something else there?) and when the wax has set enough to move, I leave them in the oven (sometimes cool and sometimes I set to warm and then turn the oven off for a little while before putting them in so it's just a tad warm). I've not used excel but if memory serves, it's made to shrink away from the sides of the jar to give a more uniform effect like the advanced but is more solid to resist melting - like when you have a fair outdoors inthe summer. I liked the advanced but the 135 has a better throw - it does bloom a bit though, but some people look for that as a sign of a good quality natural soy candle. so,  :mwaha: whole lot of words to say "pour when slushy".

* DSC06921.JPG (39.1 KB, 640x480 - viewed 411 times.)

* DSC06921.JPG_thumb (45.64 KB, 200x150 - viewed 256 times.)

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:31 AM »

Thanks, Halfabubble - yes, I looked round the internet too and (like you) I found a lot of conflicting information. In fact, when I called 4candles yesterday, the wicks that Kara advised were different to the ones that (I think, as I had by now got info overload and couldn't remember where I'd got it from) a manufacturer recommended as "best" and it isn't as if 4candles don't stock the "recommended" one. I decided to go with Kara and ordered more wicks (and other things), all of which will arrive today.
I think the idea about standing the containers on a cookie sheet and putting them in the oven after pouring is a good one.
I'm going to try the Advanced, although I am coming round to thinking that a "natural "colour may be the way to go, so blooming wouldn't be that much of an issue, so will also try the CB135.

Thanks to all of you - I really LOVE this forum (such a helpful group of like-minded people and so much great advice and inspiration!!!!)  :buttrf:

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: