MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
March 01, 2024, 02:08:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Swaps, Trades & For Sale
| |-+  Things for Sale & Special Members Offers!
| | |-+  6 1/2 kilo Soy piller wax suitable for melts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Topic: 6 1/2 kilo Soy piller wax suitable for melts  (Read 5082 times)
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« on: November 15, 2009, 04:23:28 PM »

Ive still got loads of pillar wax for sale. I use container in my melts but Kev has reminded me you can use pilar for melts too. So for those of thinking of trying your hand at melts/tarts this could be an opportunity at cheaper cost.
1 Bag of 5k for £15
3 500g bags at 1.75 each.
If people want me to split the bigger bag Im happy to do so.

I find soy throws the scent beautifully, nice long melt and is much cleaner. Also very eassy to wash up just hot soapy water.

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 04:51:01 PM »

Hi Michelle, I'm planning on trying candles at some point, but I want to do container candles. Now I've not done much research yet, but I'm taking a wild guess that pillar wax is for pillar candles and I need container wax  Wink Just thought I'd check tho.  :buttrf:

Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »

I don't know anything about candle waxes, so what is the difference between pilar and container wax?
And are they very different or difficult when doing melts/tarts?

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
kevie192

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 05:57:06 PM »

In my experience (and every candle maker seems to have a different opinion) container blend is not very good for wax melts. The softer ones that I tend to use for my containers are rather 'sticky' as they're designed to stick to the inside of the containers. They also do not contract as much when cooling, again to help with sticking to the glass. This all means they're a right royal PITA to get out of moulds! I've also heard of customers complaining that melts made solely with container wax are very hard to remove from a burner.

Pillar blend tends to be much harder and shrinks more when cooling which means it is much easier to remove from the moulds - especially when using metal ones. The hardness, however, means that the melts are brittle and prone to breaking if using an intricate mould.

Some people use a mixture of the two types to combat the brittleness but personally I use pillar blend as I find that people only really like basic shapes anyway.

This is all soy wax I'm talking about, I haven't a clue about paraffin apart from the extra-creamy container paraffin that I use for mine. Container soy is too unpredictable for me!!!

Kevin x

Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:10:52 PM »

Thank you Kevin for the very good explanation!  big hug

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »

Hi Michelle, I'm planning on trying candles at some point, but I want to do container candles. Now I've not done much research yet, but I'm taking a wild guess that pillar wax is for pillar candles and I need container wax  Wink Just thought I'd check tho.  :buttrf:

If you use pillar wax for container candles it is likely to pull away from sides of container once poured doesnt look so pretty. Also will not pool a container wax does so it wont last as long

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:35:21 PM »

I don't know anything about candle waxes, so what is the difference between pilar and container wax?
And are they very different or difficult when doing melts/tarts?

Ok Il try and summarise
what is the difference between Pillar Waxes and Container Waxes,t Pillar Waxes are in general harder and are designed to shrink during the cooling process, this allows your candle to  to release from the mould,  Pillar Waxes are designed to be out of a container and free standing, whereas Container waxes are softer and need to be placed into a container and remain there.. If you try and use a container wax in a pillar mould then you will not be able to release the wax from the mould, on the other hand to use a Pillar Wax in a container will lead to the wax shrinking from the sides and in some circumstances the wax will fall out of the container.

However when making soy melts /tarts as they are going to be just melted in a oil burner the fact the pillar wil shrink back from your original mould is no longe relevant. In fact some people prefer to use Pillar as it is easier to demould from your small moulds.
Il put this response in a seperte thread as well

nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »

Container soy is too unpredictable for me!!!

Oh, why's that Kev? It was soy container candles I was planning on playing with. What's the unpreditability? Also, while we're on a candle theme, does anyone know a supplier for wooden wicks? I can only find them on US sites? Thanks xx

nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »

doh! Sorry, was trying to work out how to do that purple higlighting thing that people do to refer to previous posts and I seem to have made it go alarmingly red. Apologies, I wasn't yelling or anything rude. Sorry  Embarrassed Embarrassed

Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:20:38 PM »

NT, click the quote box and paste in between the ] [ (the quote icon looks like a square speech bubble  Smiley)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:35:37 PM by Helen » Logged

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
kevie192

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »

Container soy is too unpredictable for me!!!

Oh, why's that Kev? It was soy container candles I was planning on playing with. What's the unpreditability? Also, while we're on a candle theme, does anyone know a supplier for wooden wicks? I can only find them on US sites? Thanks xx

It just seems to vary so much from batch to batch. I can have two different candles made exactly the same way with the same FO and colour etc but I will need completely different wicks for each batch to get a result I am happy with!

I can't afford to test each fragrance and colour with each batch and I want to produce a product that is consistently great quality so I've decided to go with paraffin. IMHO, it behaves much the same as soy and I am very very happy with it.

For wood wicks, try 4Candles.

Kevin x

nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »

NT, click the quote box and paste in between the ] [ (the quote icon looks like a square speeck bubble  )

Thanks H!

For wood wicks, try 4Candles.

Thanks Kev!

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 10:40:14 PM »

Beacuse Eco Soy wax is produce from the soy plant the quality and characteristics wil vary slightly from crop to crop, bit like Eo's. Thats why one batch wil be consistent, next batch you have to try out yr wicks before selling.
If you think you are going to go into it in a big way it is therefore better to buy one big order then keep reordering as the risk is you get different  batches.
Think of it like wallpaper you always ensure you get rolls from the same batch number or else slight vatiables

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 10:34:52 PM »

I still have some Pillar wax for sale

nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 10:39:11 PM »

I'll take some of that Michelle. It's soy right? And okay for containers. Been meaning to try this for ages, will give me a push. Happy to wait and see how many others want some and share. But I'd happily take the 3 500g bags. You ain't got any wicks have ya?!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: