MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 23, 2020, 08:57:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  The Wombling Free Board...
| |-+  Recycled, Revampled, Rehashed...
| | |-+  Soap Recylcling to save lifes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Soap Recylcling to save lifes  (Read 1697 times)
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« on: July 23, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »

I stumbled across this organisation. They recycle used and donated soap to ship it to 3rd world countries where people cannot afford to buy soap.

You don't have to be a hotel to donate soap, but it has to be sent to Florida, US. I checked Royal Mail and a surface parcel of up to 1kg to the US takes a long time, but only cost £6.42, so not overly expensive.

It might be worth considering, if you have some fugly soap around. As they do complete recycling, even lye heavy batches should be ok, but you might want to contact them first.

http://www.cleantheworld.org/

Cheers
Sabine

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Ɛyɔn :-)
senior
Hero+ Member

what we are all thinking but too polite to say

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »

:mwaha: it sounds like a great idea on paper but i wonder how and what if nothing at least a baby of a  nightmare the logistics of  it all adds up as.  I wouldn't have imagined that there is any where in the world that the locals don't have  their own little indigenous way of making soap or finding a means to wash if they want to wash with a foaming agent. i  wonder if it wouldn't be much more efficient to send something like £6.42 to  the charity towards their admin cost and equip them to send things like clothing to these poor people or even buy them a fish everyday! and alo look at solutions to end the number of soaps that go to waste by the hotel industry.

If you want to walk fast walk alone, if you want to walk far walk with others.
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:08 PM »

I wouldn't even want to know the logistics of this. Just the thought of it gives me a headache.

I guess it would be nice to combine it with a soapmaking course for the locals. I am sure they have coconut in Haiti ?

On the other hand, recycling soap instead of sending it to Landfill is a great idea. If it would be my charity, I would sell the soap back to the hotels and use the money to build a soap factory in the 3rd world country to give people jobs and a way out of poverty.

They have emailed back and said they are looking into a european collection point for soap at the moment. Might collect my fugly soap until then.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Ɛyɔn :-)
senior
Hero+ Member

what we are all thinking but too polite to say

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

I thought everyone finished their soap completely which is what i do, or  i have thrown it into the cistern of the WC, but i'm not sure if  this is a good thing to do. Embarrassed or even soap balls sound like an ideal way to me but recycling soap back to go to teh hotel industry soaps like a good plan.

If you want to walk fast walk alone, if you want to walk far walk with others.
Soap_for_breakfast

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »

I think that's a really good idea but when I saw it I thought you had to own a hotel. If you say they are looking for a European collection point I'll wait until then. Hopefully there'll be a UK one. Please let us know. I have stacks of fugly soap.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: