MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 26, 2020, 08:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  The Wombling Free Board...
| |-+  Recycled, Revampled, Rehashed...
| | |-+  My favourite mold - just in time for the holidays!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: My favourite mold - just in time for the holidays!  (Read 2881 times)
Silvergilt
« on: November 27, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »

I bought a few "proper" soap molds, but the one I keep coming back to are the big plastic containers which the cheese biscuits for Xmas tend to come in.  I don't need to line them (I just pop them in the freezer) for ease, they hold a fair amount so I don't have to spend a bunch of time calculating how much soap a mold should hold (and invariably get it wrong), and they hold heat well without buckling.

I've got one, but I think I'll save a few more after the holidays are over as these are turning into my favourites.
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »

Are they the like the biscuit tins SG?  Good idea and I would think you could get a fair few soapies out of that

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Silvergilt
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »

Aye, the first soap I made, swirly one, I made in one of these.  And I can get five pounds of soap (!!!) out of one of those, so yes, they work really well if I have a popular batch.
abigailbalfour
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »

Do you not feel a bit aggrieved at the lack of sharpness of the corners of some of the soap? Or are the corners pointed? Or is it just me who wants all of the corners to have the potential to be identical? Should I just be taking a deep breath and getting over myself?

My current favourite mould is an old port bottle box. It does need lining, which is a pain in the backside (I can do it quite well, but it is a struggle every single time), but I love it for the results I just KNOW I can achieve if only I make the right amount of soap to put in it.  :mwaha:
Silvergilt
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »

I tend to do a quick trim if I want sharp corners - I understand what you mean about symmetrical - but it really isn't much trimming required. I am doing a five-pound batch, the cut the lot edge-on, as it's thick enough to manage.  The chai-spice batch was about half that, so I just cut it "flat".   I'm always having to trim, so no worries for me.
JGorse
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »

I don't have anything like that around 'cos I'm not supposed to eat any yummy goodies in those tins but I do happen to have an old port bottle tin  Roll Eyes  Luckily the port was quaffed before they told me I was allergic to it  :mwaha:
Maybe after Christmas I'll try that one instead of the Pringles tin my niece very kindly saved me
zuriua
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »

This is probably a really daft question but gonna ask it anyway.  Can you use a metal biscuit tin as a HP mould if you line it well first?

hide
corrie
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »

Don't see why not Nessa.
You would defo need to line it though.
zuriua
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »

Ooo, thanks Corrie!  I'm glad to hear that cos on my little trip to Costco's today they had a stand giving out samples of a tasty looking Italian biscuit and my eyes lit up when i saw the tins it came in, they lit up even more when i saw that they were going to just throw away those lovely potential soap moulds!  The guy who handed them over looked at me like i was some kind of lunatic (i was smiling a tad too much) but I felt like xmas had arrived early!

I got my crockpot and blender today as well and a certain persons coconut oil arrived yesterday (thank you H!) so it looks like i might just be getting my HP thang going on this week - duck for cover!!!   :mwaha:

Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »

Nessa's ready to role.......  Please, please, please post us some pics  Grin

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
zuriua
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »

I definitely will, whether it is soap or croap, you guys will get a look-see
Helen
Founder