MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 26, 2024, 02:29:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Introduce Yourself
| |-+  Introduce yourself to the boards
| | |-+  New, keen and eager!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: New, keen and eager!!  (Read 2226 times)
Debs R Appleby

« on: February 11, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »

Hi everyone!  I have been making soaps for about a year now after taking voluntary redundancy from a secondary school.  I am now so much more relaxed, until I start talking about soap then I become far too excited!!  i am hoping to start up my own small business, v small, and have finally decided on a base recipe and essential oils smells.  The reason I joined this forum is I am hoping to gain some knowledge on getting registered and filling in my PIF etc.  I have mailed Scott Grainger and his team about getting a licence but feel a little overwhelmed about the other stuff that I need.  Can a PIF take any format as long as it includes the necessary stuff outlined on and do all UK sellers need to be registered with the EU portal??  Debs
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »

Hello and welcome.

Yes, you still have to upload to the portal. It is not too difficult, just a bit of a pain.

Scott and his team are very helpful, and you will find lots of information here. I don't think there is a set format for the PIF, as long as you have all the required information. If you take it step by step it is not too bad. Start keeping records of all ingredient batch codes, and creating batch numbers for the batches you make, write a GMP document and you are well on your way.

Good luck.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »

Hello Debs, welcome to the forum.

You might occasionally see a new post from Scott on one of the boards; there are some of his useful posts pinned in various boards - he became a member some time before he became an assessor !
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »

Hi Debs!!   Hi!

A very warm welcome to the forum.  It all sounds like you have made the right choice for you, to go down a route that seems to make you happy.  Good for you Debs  Smiley :buttrf: :buttrf:

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »

Hi Debs  :buttrf: :buttrf:
Debs R Appleby

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:38:05 PM »

Hi - thanks for all the welcomes!!
Got a question for Suzanne -  what is a GMP document?
and batch numbers - this is something I have to get my head round - do I start literally with batch 1 for each recipe then make a note of the finer details of that soap , so who I bought the ingredients from? Then the next time I make that same soap it is batch 2 and if I changed supplier I make a note???
 Thanks in advance
Debs
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »

Belated welcome from me. I somehow missed this

Hi! Hi! Hi!

The admin side is a bit of a pain, but once you do it once it gets easier.

GMP is basically Good Manufacturing Practice. I think there is something on here somewhere.

Yes, you have to keep track of batch details for all your ingredients for each batch. If you have something like somemaker, it does that all for you. You can call you batch number anything I used some letters to represent the product, then numbers ( You can do YYMMDD). So for example SPLAV170216 (to represent Soap Lavender made 16/Feb/17)
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

that was meant to be SoapMaker which is a bit of software, but you can use spreadsheet.
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »

Hi - thanks for all the welcomes!!
Got a question for Suzanne -  what is a GMP document?
and batch numbers - this is something I have to get my head round - do I start literally with batch 1 for each recipe then make a note of the finer details of that soap , so who I bought the ingredients from? Then the next time I make that same soap it is batch 2 and if I changed supplier I make a note???
 Thanks in advance
Debs
Pretty much yes. Each batch you make needs a unique batch number. As Andy says you can make it up yourself, but I use Soapmaker which does it for you. It also keeps a record of the ingredient batch numbers, and you can pull up a batch of your product and it will show you the supplier of each ingredient and the batch number of the particular ingredients used. This also forms part of your Product Info File. If there is a problem, or Trading Standards visit, then you have a complete paper trail. It is also good for keeping an eye on your stock. You can use it for soap, lotion and potions, candles or whatever you are making.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »

oops sorry, was answering for Suzanne  :mwaha:
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »

Feel free, you make more sense than I do.

Henry Ward Beecher
FionaS

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:31:49 PM »

Hi,

good luck with your new business.  I'm also just about to send off for my safety assessment, just as soon as I've made my final decision on what form the recipes will take. It is a hard decision to take!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: