MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
January 19, 2021, 10:03:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326838 Posts in 22248 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Introduce Yourself
| |-+  Introduce yourself to the boards
| | |-+  Curious newbie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Curious newbie  (Read 1586 times)
nutterly_uts

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

CP soap

We only have non stick pans in the house which is why I was in a bit of a flutter about needing more Smiley
I didn't think plastic was a good idea for the lye cause of it warming up?
Ray.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »

The strong plastic jugs can take boiling water so they are fine for lye which isn't boiling just hot, you can also use pyrex jugs but I prefer the plastic ones myself. You can use tupperware or plastic kitchen storage boxes lined with cling film or silicone paper as moulds, i used those when i first started, easy to get the soap out of and to cut into bars, or if you have flexible silicone bakeware as in cup cakes or even an rectangular cake mould, these are great for soap. Have a good old rummage around the kitchen before spending those pennies.

Ray
Acorn

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »

Pringles tubes make very good moulds too - I like my soap to be round.  I also often line the tube with a silicon fondant embossing mat - this sort of thing.

Kindness is under-rated.
FionaS

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »

Plastic for the jug is fine. Mine has been going for years, though I will upgrade to a stainless steel jug when I can afford it.

I make my little batches in a stainless steel milk pan from Wilko's which cost about £4.  They can take up to about 400-450g oils, which gives you about 6 decent-sized bars of soap.

Wilko's also stocks bigger stainless steel pans for low prices.  You could get a slightly bigger pan that would take a 1k batch quite cheaply.
SoapCalc will tell you the weight of your finished batch if you input your oils.  You then need to allow for weight loss as they cure/water evaporates, which will be about 10%.  A decent-sized bar of soap is about 90-100g.

nutterly_uts

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:01 PM »

Thanks all Smiley

No Wilkos here sadly.. we are offshore with inflated prices and limited choices Sad
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »

I can't add much more to what was said, but belated welcome from me  Hi!
FionaS

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:45 PM »

Sorry!  Should have asked you where you were.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: