MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
January 25, 2021, 09:03:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326838 Posts in 22248 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Introduce Yourself
| |-+  Introduce yourself to the boards
| | |-+  Curious newbie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Curious newbie  (Read 1591 times)
nutterly_uts

« on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »

Hi all
Am a curious newbie considering trying out cold soap for a hobby.
Just trying to get my head around it all Smiley

Acorn

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:17:54 PM »

Welcome!  It can be very addictive...  Happy Dance

Kindness is under-rated.
polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:19:24 PM »

helloooo  :buttrf:
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:38:24 AM »

Hello, welcome.

Soaping as a hobby means that you have plenty to give away!

I'm trying to think what the smallest feasible batch is, anyone have an idea?
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:02:11 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forum  :buttrf: :buttrf:

Soaping as a hobby means that you have plenty to give away!

I'm trying to think what the smallest feasible batch is, anyone have an idea?

Not with soap but other things (creams/balms) 100g is always good for test batches, I find.

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
nutterly_uts

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »

So far I seem to be tying myself up into knots  Undecided No idea where to even begin to look at where to start  Shocked Grin
Ray.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »

Hello and welcome to a very knowledgeable forum.

I think 250g is about the smallest as weighing tiny amounts for soap is a nightmare if you don't have special scales to do so and are working on kitchen scales, and as we all know discrepancies with lye is not a safe bet. I have made 250g test batches before no problem but not less, maybe other find differently.

Ray
FionaS

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »

Welcome.

I thought I'd posted a reply but it seems to have vanished - or maybe I've put it on the wrong thread?

My test batches are 300g of oils, and I do find it difficult to weigh in amounts that small, although I will be getting new scales soon.  I make them in a milk pan, and if I were to try to go smaller and still use a stick blender, I'd need a container with a very narrow diameter, I think.
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »

Log into the shop (via menu bar above) then select "Resources" (top menu bar there) and then there are tutorials and recipes - some are available if you're not logged in but there's a better range if you do log in.

For lye calculating there's a free online resource which I and some others always used:
http://soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp
nutterly_uts

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »

Thank you Smiley

I am a bit stuck on the supplies I need to make it. I have been reading Anne Watson's Smart Soapmaking and her milk soap book but finding the 8l soup pot etc is proving to be a bit expensive here, as well as me being very unsure on how much soap it produces and what to use for a mould - our milk cartons are only 0.5l or 1l here and are cardboard - so are they big enough or sturdy enough? Guess I need to experiment?
I'd like to stick to milk and yoghurt soaps if I can to make use of the fabulous resources I have here but do I need to master "normal" soaps first?

polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

Code:
http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/1-5litre-really-useful-storage-box-c2x12601476

I used these for soaps of about 1kg - the width is perfect and you get about 10 - 12 bars from it.

You could start as you mean to go on and experiment with milks/yogs but a good place to start is a basic soap so you can have a comparison in terms of the making process and the finished product.

You can use so many things as a mould as long as its sturdy and you line it (baking parchment/freezer paper).

I think my smallest batches were about 500g.

As Elaine has said, you will give lots away - making a few from different ingredients, giving them to the same people and asking for feedback is a great way to see which people prefer.

nutterly_uts

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »

What pans do you use to make the soap and what size? Thats causing the most indecision at the mo - do I really need an 8l stainless steel soup pan and then a 2l saucepan or can I get away with smaller ones? I can't find any locally that aren't crazy money but I don't want to spend too much money at this point incase its not for me.
Ray.

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 02:52:56 PM »

You really only need a saucepan to melt the solid oils, then mix in your liquid oils, you could then pour those into a large plastic jug and then mix in your lye and stick blend in the plastic jug and pour into your mould / container. Don't take what the book says as gospel, better to listen to what real hands on people say who are on forums. If you are mixing the lye into the oils in a saucepan this does need to be stainless steel as the lye reacts with aluminium, but you could melt your oils in an aluminium saucepan and pour that into a plastic jug or even pyrex jug big enough to take the batch you are making.

Ray
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »

Welcome.

Do you want to make CP or HP? If you want to make Hp, you will need a crock pot. If it is CP, then a stainless (not aluminium) pot is fine. I use 6L which holds enough oils for a 4.5kg batch of soap. A couple of plastic jugs for lye and water mixing and a mould of some description. People have used pringles tubes, ice cream cartons etc.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Ray.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »

Welcome.

Do you want to make CP or HP? If you want to make Hp, you will need a crock pot. If it is CP, then a stainless (not aluminium) pot is fine. I use 6L which holds enough oils for a 4.5kg batch of soap. A couple of plastic jugs for lye and water mixing and a mould of some description. People have used pringles tubes, ice cream cartons etc.

He he I never use a crock pot for my HP as I do mine in the oven, I hate the crock pot!

Ray
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: