Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 26, 2021, 08:18:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum

Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

326838 Posts in 22248 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Introduce Yourself
| |-+  Introduce yourself to the boards
| | |-+  whats the correct insurance to look for at events?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: whats the correct insurance to look for at events?  (Read 1172 times)
Posts: 1

« on: July 04, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »

Hi there! I am Kate, I am a soap and beauty products maker myself and I am covered by my medical malpractise insurance. I am organising some  events in my area and I need to know exactly what insurances I should be looking for from stall holders selling handmade cosmetics. I have noticed quite a few sellers in my area that I have very good reason to doubt that they have any knowledge of what they are doing and I dont want anyone to get hurt from a sale at one of my events. like I say, I am covered by medical malpractice but, naturally many wont have got to it the way I did.
Please advise!
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member
Posts: 25459

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »

Helo Katie, welcome to the forum.

When I was making and selling I had two insurances - one for the products (something like the term "Product Liability" which covered my products whether I sold at a fair, to a shop or online/directly to customer and the other insurance covered my stand at a fair or show - for instance if part of the display fell on someone or even if someone tripped over part of the stand or display.

As Organiser you'll need to have insurance (depending on that provided by the owners of the venue) to cover mishaps to the public and exhibitors.

Best to take advice from your insurance company (one reason why I use NFU wherever possible - they have local offices in many places so you can actually call in (and don't have to be engaged in farming to use their services).
Hero+ Member
Posts: 27796

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 06:21:53 AM »

Hi Katie,

EJ's advice is sound and I can't add to it but I did want to say hi and welcome to the forum  :buttrf:

We rise by lifting others.

 Fresholi's Facebook Page
Hero+ Member
Posts: 12217

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »

Hi and welcome.

I think an event organiser would need public liability insurance. Stall holders would need product and public liability insurance. It would be a good idea to ask the cosmetcs sellers whether they have an up to date cosmetics assessment too. I know that the insurance company I use asked to see evidence that my assessment has been upgraded but I don't know whether all of them did.

I did not know that medical malpractice insurance would cover cosmetics.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
Hero+ Member
Posts: 4902

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:07:01 PM »

Hi, nice to meet you

The others have given the advice you need re the insurance, but as an organiser perhaps you should ask anyone selling cosmetics products to confirm that they comply with the current EU regulations. 
Members of the Guild of Craft Soap and Toiletry Makers will be able to produce a certificate (you can only become a member if you are compliant) or if they don't belong to the Guild, perhaps you could ask for their CPNP ref no  (CPNP is the EU cosmetics portal where all cosmetics products have to registered) - I've been asked for the ref no and/or a screenshot showing my listing.  Neither are too difficult to supply to an organiser/seller and it gives you an assurance that products comply with current legislation and are also safe.  Not sure where it leaves insurance if people don't comply to regulation, but I suspect most insurers would find an 'opt out' clause if that were the case and you needed to make a claim.

Hope you enjoy organising your events - let us know how you get on.
Oh, and I should mention we all love to see some photo's so we'll be looking forward to those Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Fresholi design by Fresholi based on Amber by Bloc | XHTML | CSS