MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
March 29, 2024, 11:37:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Candles in a tin - where to begin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Candles in a tin - where to begin  (Read 2282 times)
Denice
Hero+ Member

« on: July 05, 2015, 05:20:58 PM »

Oh! a little rhyme for my subject - should I carry that on for the message too  Grin

We get asked for candles (and reed diffusers) a lot and so I'm looking at making some simple (if that exists) candles in tins.

I have no idea where to begin - I'm thinking probably soy wax, but where's the best place to look for info on burn time, the right wick etc.
I understand that the pour is very important - but how do I find out about that?
I don't want to spend huge amounts of money/time on researching as I don't have much of either, but I won't skimp on safety or quality.

I thought about youtube - where I will probably go eventually but don't want a load of misinformation - just want a grasp of the basics for now to see if it's worth me investing more resources into for the future.

Can anyone give me some pointers: books, reliable websites, trusted youtube videos etc  perhaps even a course (not too expensive or far away) to help me on my way Smiley
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »

Weeel, are you sitting comfortably. They are pretty simple to make.

Any decent supplier will be able to give you information about the pour, but you should find that with soy wax you only need one pour. Your supplier will also tell you about how hot to melt to 9each wax is slightly different), but you then need to let it cool until it almost starts to congeal before you pour. This should help with "wet spots" which is particularly important if you are making in glass. Pour like you would a whiskey to avoid air bubbles.

Burn time, you will have to work out yourself (a great excuse to use your favourite fragrance). Again, your supplier should be able to help with wick sizes. Have a look at 4candles for wick and advice. They do the wood which are great although more expensive than cotton.

The main issue you will have is in the labelling which with the new CLP regulations is a tad complicated.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »

To follow on with what Suzanne said, you will need to test each tin/wick/fragrance combo, to make sure you get good even burn. With soy wax, you'll need a larger size wick than the size recommended. Hope this is useful Smiley

Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »

Weeel, are you sitting comfortably. They are pretty simple to make.

Now that's what I like to hear  :mwaha:

The main issue you will have is in the labelling which with the new CLP regulations is a tad complicated.
Not so keen on that bit though  Bawl

So basically I should contact a reputable supplier, tell them what I want, get some supplies and play  research!

Thank you both  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: