MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 20, 2020, 12:41:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326750 Posts in 22233 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  New Regulations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: New Regulations  (Read 3153 times)
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« on: April 13, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »

In case it has escaped you there are new regulations for candle labelling from June. How we fit everything on a votive label is beyond me!

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/.../tsguide-candlesafety...

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »

The page has moved.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/tradingstandards/tradingstandards-business/ts-business-safety/tsguide-candlesafety-business.htmI?hc_location=ufi

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 11:13:21 AM »

based on that information, (which I would like to thank you first for posting, very important stuff!), then what we are already doing is OK? I have a text warning label on all my candles, and it says the information in table 1 is mandatory in EITHER pictogram OR text format, if in text, then must be in the language of the country being sold. Table 2 info is advised, but not mandatory. Now, Have I understood that correctly?  :mwaha:

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 01:37:00 PM »

I don't know what you are asking me for, I am confused.  :mwaha:

That is what that looks like it is saying. However, if you look here...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/chemical-classification/legal/clp-regulation.htm?hc_location=ufi
then we need to label differently.

Henry Ward Beecher
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:06:24 PM »

but there is no mention of anything other than chemicals in that link  Huh? Huh? Huh? so how does that relate to candles? (not asking you Suzanne! just anyone out there who may have a clue!) :mwaha:

retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »

substances....mixtures.....could they be any more vague, why not just say stuff and things??? :mwaha:

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 03:14:34 PM »

substances....mixtures.....could they be any more vague, why not just say stuff and things??? :mwaha:
See, see it's not just me.

Somewhere it does say candles are included. They are articles apparently.

http://www.complianceservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/EU%E2%80%99s-Classification-Labeling-and-Packaging-Regulations-CLP.pptx?hc_location=ufi

Slide 28 says
"If a candle contains any sensitizing fragrance ingredient at more than 0.1%, the label should bear the statement “Contains (name of fragrance(s)).  May produce an allergic reaction.”
If a candle contains more than a total of 1% sensitizing fragrance ingredients, it should bear the exclamation point pictogram, the signal word WARNING, and have the statement  “May cause an allergic skin reaction” and list some ingredients.
The greater the concentration of fragrance in the candle, the more likely that it will trigger one or more of these warnings."

So....what are the "some ingredients" we are to list?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:30:10 PM by Suzanne » Logged

Henry Ward Beecher
Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »

I just got this from candleshack ...

It made me think its now as complex to label candles as soap ........  Strop

CLP Demystified
What is CLP and what does it mean for your business?
Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) is the European Unions implementation of a larger United Nations (UN) agreement called the Globally Harmonised System (GHS) relating to the classification and labelling of chemicals.

Amongst other things, it aims to standardise the way in which products containing chemicals are labelled worldwide.  Whilst GHS is voluntary, CLP is law and applies to businesses of all sizes within the EU.  It comes into force on the 1st June 2015 and applies to many different products, including fragranced products such as candles, diffusers, melts and more.

For home fragrance products, such as candles, CLP will require pictograms and a number of risk phrases to be included on containers and packaging.  Here are some CLP pictograms that are likely to be applicable to many home fragrance products..

The actual pictograms and risk phrases required will depend on the exact mixture (i.e. wax and oil).  So, a mixture would be defined as a particular blend of base and oil; i.e. candle wax with 8% 'Pure Eden' fragrance.  A candle using a different oil or even a different concentration of the same 'Pure Eden' (i.e. 12%) will likely have different phrases and pictograms and would therefore require different labels. 

CLP labels and Safety Data Sheets (SDS) are produced using fairly expensive software (£5k-£20k + annual fees) that references the 1400+ aroma chemicals in the IFRA chemical database.  The software works out how much of each ingredient is in the 'mixture' and using the reference data, produces a series of phrases and pictograms applicable to that specific blend (mixture) as well as an SDS.

The good news....
At Candle Shack, we have purchased the software and completed training, so intend to help our customers by making CLP label and SDS data available for all of the fragrances we stock.  We will provide the pictograms and risk phrases for each fragrance, for both candles and diffusers based on 10% perfume load in candles and 15% load (in Augeo) in diffusers.  These will be available on the perfume pages before 1 Jun 15, which is the deadline for the classification and labelling of 'mixtures'. 

We will also be posting a video before the 1st of June explaining in more detail the requirements for labelling candles for both CLP and fire safety, as we have seen many non-approved pictograms being used on forums etc.  We hope this will help smaller companies stay on the right side of the law and provide much needed advice in an easy to understand format.

More Information...
CLP is a huge and very complicated subject and whilst we will ensure that our products are supplied with the correct information and will do all that we can to help our customers in terms of labelling, we regret that we will not normally provide CLP labels of SDS for fragrances purchased from other suppliers. We are also not CLP advisers, so would ask that you take the time to research CLP before contacting us, particularly for general CLP information.  Detailed information on GHS and CLP can be found here...

HSE Website

We long to soar like eagles, forgetting that sparrows, too, can fly ...
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »

The issue I have at the moment (apart from the fact the pictograms are so stupid, no one will understand them) is knowing when I have to label what. I use mainly EO's so which are classed as sensitising fragrances and which are not? I assume that we are going to label the allergens.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:33:12 PM by Suzanne » Logged

Henry Ward Beecher
squeakyclean

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 11:44:14 PM »

I'm the same Suzanne, just using EOs and I'm assuming (but could be wrong because I don't really understand these things  Wink) that we take the same approach as we would for cosmetics, as in listing the EOs used, then listing the allergens. Or at least thats what I intend to do until I'm told different.
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 09:34:27 AM »

and there was me thinking candles might be a good idea......

:mwaha:
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:18 AM »

OK, so, all my candles are in boxes. the only way for me to include all of this information is to put a leaflet type thing inside each box. I simply do not have room to put another sticker on the candle (I currently put the warning label on the bottom - my jars are shaped and decorative, warning lables would not fit or stick, and they would look terrible too) Unless frangrance suppliers can supply those fold out type labels with multi layers??

squeakyclean

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »

I read somewhere that the label has to be fixed to the candle container not just on the box or in the box and that it has to be visable when the candle is set down, so it can't be hidden on the bottom either. It will undoubtedly make them look unslightly! The best solution I can think of is to place it to the back of the container but its not ideal Undecided
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »

As I understand it, you can provide a leaflet. It can be at point of sale and does not have to be on the candle. Now I'm on a box hunt!

Henry Ward Beecher
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 11:19:18 AM »

Good. will do that then. thankyou! :buttrf:

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: