MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 05, 2020, 12:44:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326806 Posts in 22241 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  slippy floor with polysorbate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Topic: slippy floor with polysorbate  (Read 2591 times)
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »

p.s. I've not used geoguard, but it has benzyl alcohol which can over time oxidise and smell of almonds apparently. Sorbic Acid also can discolour and smell petroleum like over time. Also limited life of about a year according to my notes. Might not be a problem now, but something to consider.

...you can see why febreeze use FO!

I've just checked a bottle I happen to have from years ago and it has no ingredients listed on it. I have a feeling it is water, FO, a bit of alcohol (just cheaper Isopropanol I think), some Propylene Glycol in there. It says non-flamable propellant, but that just means there isn't a large amount of flamable stuff in there like those pressurised cans you can use as a flame thrower. If you go down the alcohol route, just do a little test out doors... and have fire extinguisher ready  :mwaha:
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »

Alcohol is too dangerous, too many people with open Fireplaces in this country.

I was actually looking into room spray, but with watersoluble fragrances. These are easy enough to get since Vaping has become so common. They are oil free food flavours, usually dispensed in Propylene Glycol. There is a Polish Company that has the biggest choice and they basically have all the fragrances one could ever need and then some.

I know, there are companies that make EO roomsprays, but when you look at their range, it is usually all the EOS where a hydrsol is available. So I am assuming that is what they use, maybe a bit watered down.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »

I wonder how much alcohol you need to make a fire hazard.

SK supply ethanol, but where they give details of where to get a licence they comment it will be refused if you say its to be used for room spray.

I assume perfume gets away with it because you tend to spray it on you? rather than round the room?

Don't like to diss. anyone's products, but I have a feeling the ones being sold were 30% eo, 70% alcohol. I don't remember any other ingredients ....

We long to soar like eagles, forgetting that sparrows, too, can fly ...
Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 01:35:29 PM »

and I thought this would be an EASY product  :mwaha: :mwaha:

andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »

I wonder how much alcohol you need to make a fire hazard.

The Febreze one says "5% by mass of the contents are flammable" ...that won't be just alcohol though and it doesn't have any oils, terpines and other things you have in EOs that are also flammable.

This is also problem I'm going to have with producing EOs for florals. Health and Safety laws (and other restrictions) basically make it so expensive to comply in this country when you start using alcohols in manufacturing. So I'm going to experiment doing them (not sure that is even legal), then possibly look to doing them somewhere else in the world.

I have no idea what the regs are for perfumes with respect to alcohol, but things like deodorant often have quite high alcohol content.

I'm with MP on watersoluble FO. I would probably go down that road if I wasn't experimenting with EO distillation (and I'm only consider selling it mainly just to help pay for the project really). Another factor is pricing ingredients; ethanol is quite expensive and cheaper isopropyl doesn't smell nice and will mean more EO.

Some people just shake it in; EO floats on the top and water drawn from base and there is nice natural fragrance even if you don't shake it.

p.s.
I remember the product I bought from SK now (sold as diffuser carrier). It's called Dipropylene glycol methyl ether and it doesn't particularly smell nice. You have to put quite a lot of EO in it and you can still smell it. I'll try to bring a small bottle for you in next market.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 02:17:39 PM by andoy » Logged
Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »

well I'm not keen on slippery floors OR setting houses on fire

:mwaha:

so perhaps either shake the bottle or water soluble fragrance.

I'm not familiar with them at all MP - not being a smoker or knowing anyone who vapes. What are they like as fragrances?

squeakyclean

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 08:19:08 PM »

p.s. I've not used geoguard, but it has benzyl alcohol which can over time oxidise and smell of almonds apparently. Sorbic Acid also can discolour and smell petroleum like over time. Also limited life of about a year according to my notes. Might not be a problem now, but something to consider.

I'm at a loss what to do regarding preservatives tbh, I spent ages researching them months back and came to the conclusion that Geoguard was the best option but I've recently read about it becoming a carcinogen when mixed with vitamin C and as I use citrus essential oils in my room sprays, I figured this could be an issue. But what to use now?

I also thought this was going to be an easy product Iulia, but how wrong we were  Huh?
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »

well I'm not keen on slippery floors OR setting houses on fire

:mwaha:

so perhaps either shake the bottle or water soluble fragrance.

I'm not familiar with them at all MP - not being a smoker or knowing anyone who vapes. What are they like as fragrances?

As we actually "taste" mostly with our nose, they mostly smell better than they taste, but at least they are also safe for human consumption. Inawera is the company most vapers use for making own juice. There are others as well, but as we aren't looking for flavour, just for smell, I think they will be just fine.

http://www.inaweraflavours.com/en/

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: