MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 04, 2020, 11:49:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Preservative for room sprays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Preservative for room sprays  (Read 1747 times)
squeakyclean

« on: March 04, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »

I mentioned in a previous post about my struggles with finding a suitable preservative for my room sprays but thought for clarity it might be best as a separate post. About 6 months ago I did a bit of reading around the subject and came to the conclusion that Geogard ultra was my best option. However I have since discovered that there is an issue with the sodium benzoate part of it becoming a carcinogen, when mixed with Vitamin C. I have 2 room sprays which have citrus essential oils in them, so figured it wasn't such a good idea afterall. So I've been doing a bit more research and the came up with Optiphen ND , only to discover this has the same issue! So what do I do? For products with citrus ingredients, what is the best preservative? I want to avoid parabens, so I know that limits my options some what, but there must be something else, mustn't there?

Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »

Is there any reason Ethox won't work?

We long to soar like eagles, forgetting that sparrows, too, can fly ...
squeakyclean

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »

Thanks Iulia, I'm not familiar with Ethox so I'll look into that now. Do you use a preservative in yours, if so what do you use?
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »

I would go for Ethox or Microkill COS / GFGuard COS. The main active ingredient in Phenoxyethanol and Caprylyl Glycol for both of these. Microkill/GFGuard has addition of Chlorphenesin to deal with some things the other 2 don't cover.

Whatever you choose, there will probably someone who will say they are awful, etc etc. With your room sprays you don't have to declare them in the ingredients. The "natural" ones or "naturally identical" have in my view more issues that the more chemical ones (not just with scent).
Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:08 PM »

I haven't got as far into the project as that yet  Tongue

But I couldn't think of any reason ethox would be bad

We long to soar like eagles, forgetting that sparrows, too, can fly ...
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »

if you google any of preservative ingredients (as to opposed to formulation/brand name... e.g. Ethox and GFGuard COS are basically ready mixed set of ingredients), you'll find any number of alarmist article about them. Hence the "self preserving" trend in formulating stuff  Undecided

You can in theory mix/make up your own preservative blend
squeakyclean

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:58:33 PM »

Yes just googled phenoxyethanol and immediately found an alarmist article  :mwaha:

Anyway, I'll have a good route around and see what I can find on all the suggestions made and then hopefully find something I'm happy with, thanks Smiley

I just had a quick look whilst out shopping, at ingredients lists for room fragrancers and noticed that quite a few don't list what it contains and others just listed one or two ingredients for allergen purposes, so I'm assuming as far as labelling regulations stand, anything goes  Shocked
Janie-aka-Selkie
Hero. Member
Hero+ Member

I'm a little teapot

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »

I always find it funny that people get all panicky about spraying chemicals in their home, and yet happily walk around large towns and cities breathing in the air, or driving around with their windows open, hell if most people really knew what they were inhaling in a regular basis they would be too scared to breathe, especially those who don't put the loo seat down when they flush!  Shocked

Unless those room sprays are going to be sprayed 24/7 and the person is breathing in deeply right next to them then I wouldn't worry, compared to the average amount of pollution our lungs go through without us even thinking about it, the sprays are the least of your worries  Wink

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: