MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
March 29, 2024, 05:48:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Introduce Yourself
| |-+  Introduce yourself to the boards
| | |-+  Back to basics!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Back to basics!  (Read 2524 times)
neildrum

« on: January 03, 2015, 01:13:18 AM »

Hi everyone!

Had a great read through and loads of excellent discussions. I hoped someone would be able to help me with some basics. I want to make soap as a hobbie after working somewhere that made it before. I know it was translucent melt and pour bases and essential oil mixes. Can someone tell me what sort of base is the best (as I see there are a few options for translucent melt & pour bases) and whether the colours come naturally in the essential oils or if you have to use soap dyes as well?

Thanks a lot! Smiley

Neil
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 01:23:20 AM »

Hi Neil,

Welcome aboard.  Since I am from Canada I can't recommend anything to you, but I will tell you that Fresholi has an amazing reputation for good ingredients and great customer service so you might want to check there.

As for colours, you do need to add them on top of the essential oils.  Enjoy your new hobby, lots of people here to help you.
neildrum

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 02:13:44 AM »

Thanks Lindy! Really appreciate your reply! Looking forward to connecting with everyone here over the coming months! Smiley
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:37:28 AM »

Hello neildrum and a really warm welcome to the forum  Smiley

Fresholi has an amazing reputation for good ingredients and great customer service so you might want to check there.

That's very kind of you to say Lindy  :buttrf:

There are many variations of soap base but in the UK, there are two main manufacturers that are widely available.  Stephensons and Claranol.  Some people prefer one over the other for their own reasons.  Hopefully, someone will come along and offer their opinions on what they use and why (I wouldn't want to say too much because I don't want to appear bias).  It might be a good idea to get a small amount of each and have a play to see which one best meets your requirements  Smiley

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:53 AM »

hello and welcome. I don't do melt and pour, so I can't really say which is better
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »

Hello and welcome. I don't make melt and pour either, but I think that Helen stocks bases.

Some essential oils do colour CP soap - Orange for instance, but I think you would need a soap dye. Are you sure we can't tempt you to the soapy dark side (CP or HP)?

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
neildrum

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 04:07:34 PM »

Hello and welcome. I don't make melt and pour either, but I think that Helen stocks bases.

Some essential oils do colour CP soap - Orange for instance, but I think you would need a soap dye. Are you sure we can't tempt you to the soapy dark side (CP or HP)?

Haha, I'm not sure! I guess that's something I need to look more in to. When we made soaps at my old work they were M+P and they were so good that I've always wanted to make my own. What further benefits are there from CP or HP?

Thanks everyone else for your info on bases too, really appreciate all your info!
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »

M&P soap bases are basically made with lye and oils with a bit of alcohol. By making CP or HP soap you are cutting out the middle-person so to speak. Also M&P soaps have ingredients that while ok in a soap, aren't really there for the benefit of the end user or the final characteristics of the soap, but purely to enable them to be made by heating the base. With a CP & HP soaps you can select whatever oils you want to affect the final product.

Disadvantage of CP & HP is you are dealing with lye, which scares some people. Also very very difficult to male a transparent soap with HP, but I have done it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: