MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 23, 2020, 07:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326751 Posts in 22234 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  how much polysorbate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: how much polysorbate  (Read 1425 times)
squeakyclean

« on: December 02, 2014, 06:09:30 PM »

I have been testing out some room sprays which are the majority water with a small % of EO & glycerine. When I was originally researching it I made notes from somewhere that I should use an equal amount of polysorbate to the % of glycerine and EO. So if I used a total of 3% EO + 2% glycerine, then I would use 5% polysorbate 20. It seemed sufficiently binded but over time it appears to be separating and the droplets of oil are just sitting on top of the water. So presumably I'm not using enough. So how much is enough? 10% maybe or more?
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 06:11:58 PM »

I don't put polysorbate in my room sprays - just spring water and EOs.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
squeakyclean

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »

Thanks Suzanne, do you find that it separates then and that you need to shake it (vigourously) before use? I don't feel happy with that myself I feel I need to have it fully dispersed Smiley
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »

No. I just invert it a couple of times. No vigorous shaking.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
fireweed

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »

Polysorbate 20 is better for products with a small amount of oils to disperse, like room sprays.

Here's what SK says about it:

Polysorbate 20 is made from polyethoxylated sorbitan (chemical compounds derived from the dehydration of sugar alcohol) and oleic acid, a fatty acid found in animal and vegetable fats. It can be used where you need water and oil to combine, room sprays for example. It can also be used in bath oils, cream preparations and shower gels or shampoos. Polysorbate 20 is soothing to the skin.
Make your own Room Spray
Add 1 part Polysorbate 20 to 9 parts water (10% polysorbate to 90% water) and add up to 3% essential or fragrance oil to make a simple room spray.
Makes a slightly 'milky' liquid, so is best packed in opaque bottles.

If you don't want the milkiness you could try Peg 40.
squeakyclean

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 03:43:57 PM »

Oh, thanks Fireweed, I was using much less polysorbate than that, so thats obviously why it was separating. 10% is quite a lot, in my last batch (which worked much better) I had 8% but before that had tried it with only 4 - 5% so thats obviously the issue. As for the milkiness, I don't mind that, I'm using coloured opaque bottles, so its fine, but I will look into PEG 40 anyway Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: