MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 26, 2024, 04:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  cracking in soy wax candles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: cracking in soy wax candles  (Read 3088 times)
farmhand

« on: April 01, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »

Does anyone know how to stop surface cracking on soy wax candles?
I've tried pouring them at all different temperatures etc and also pouring in stages etc.
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »

Stupid question, but are you using the correct wax i.e. container or pillar?

I have not had any issues, but always make sure I get one pour. It sounds like it may be cooling too quickly but have a word with your supplier. I get mine fro 4candles and they are brilliant if you need help.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
squeakyclean

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »

Not sure how to stop it but could you repair it by gently reheating the tops with a heat gun? Is it around the wick or actually on the top surface. I have it happen around the wick sometimes, its usually an indication that the wicks too big I think
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:07 AM »

this only happend to me when they cool to fast (Ie. make them in the winter in the evening, just before the heaing goes off) make sure thay can cool slowly, by leaving them somewhere warm. also, don't pour too hot, leave the wax until almost going slushy before pouring, and pour in one.

Ray.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »

It sounds like it's pillar candles at you are making and these always tend to crack with pillar soy IMHO you can mix a little container soy way in to soften it just a tad which should stop the problem but you will need to experiment with how much. soy pillar wax is very brittle which I think is the problem.

Ray
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: