MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 03, 2020, 09:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Room sprays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Room sprays  (Read 1610 times)
squeakyclean

« on: March 29, 2014, 12:17:23 AM »

I have a few questions regarding the manufacture and sale of room sprays. I don't know if any of you guys make them but firstly I was wondering if there is any legal stuff I need to know about. Also, I currently make a mix (for personal use) of 50 / 50 alcohol/hydrolat plus EOs, however I just did a quick search on this forum and found a post where someone said you can't sell alcohol in sprays, is this true? If so, thats a bit of a blow, as there goes my preservative! I would like to keep my products as simple as possible, so ideally without polysorabate or chemical preservative. Does anyone do this, how long do your sprays last? Any info you can spare would be most appreciated, thanks Smiley
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:33:55 AM »

I wish I could help.  I presume that, if you aren't using alcohol, you would need something water-based and this would almost certainly need preserving.  I guess you don't need to you PS as it could be shaken well before each spray.  I hope someone can come along and offer some further advice regarding the legalities  :buttrf: :buttrf:

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »

I would think that a room spray would not come under cosmetic regulations, just like burning aromatherapy
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 11:18:13 AM »

I make them on occasion. I don't put alcohol in them, but make them with either spring water or hydrosols and no preservative. I put them in aluminium spray bottles, which always seem to stay cold and they last for an age. I have one I made over 2 years ago, and it is still fine. (Just squirted it to check - Geranium, gorgeous)

It does not fall under the cosmetic regs, so make away.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »

It does not fall under the cosmetic regs, so make away.

Like music to the ears innit  Grin

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »

It is!

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »

Ooh, I suddenly feel inspired. Must make use of those plain incense sticks I got from PFy too..

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
squeakyclean

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »

Thank you for your replies, it is nice to find something which is going to be relatively straight forward for a change. If not using a preservative I guess I could include a use by date on the label for just a year perhaps, it should keep for that long I imagine? I was wondering (seeing as I can't use alcohol), whether or not glycerine would help to preserve it? Might give it a go and see how well it mixes Smiley
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 09:51:54 PM »

See, if I wasn't using a preservative in a water-based product, regardless of the fact I wouldn't be using it on my skin, I'd still be spraying mould/bacteria around the house, and I worry about that.

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
squeakyclean

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »

Yeah me too Alphya tbh, I've just spent the past half hour researching preservatives as a result (although I'm no wiser), so I think I need to give this a bit more thought. I feel like if I could use alcohol it would cover the preservative issue but from what I've read you need a license. I might look into that further though, maybe?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:44:26 PM by squeakyclean » Logged
Honey
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »

I suspect their might be an issue in posting out any alcohol based products too, especially overseas. 

I make it for home use and use Microkill from OAS.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: