MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 08, 2020, 08:37:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326808 Posts in 22242 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Absolute Beginner – help needed please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Absolute Beginner – help needed please  (Read 1966 times)
JR

« on: December 03, 2013, 11:34:31 AM »

Hi

I've just decided to have a go at making candles. So first off I thought it would be easier to but some scrap wax from ebay as it's already scented and it came with wick for making tea cup candles, Great, as that was what I wanted to do. Anyway long story short. You can't smell them when they are burning and the wick only melts about 1cm diameter of wax.

So I put together an order from 4candles (hope I can put their neme in) and ordered "Chandler pro container wax and Wedo LX16 wicks. 

I'm not sure weather I put the wrong wick on the order or they sent the wrong wick but i got the LX8 so I put 3 wicks in a trial candle.  The problem is that the wax keeps building up and "drowning" the wick so it goes out.  Any advice would be great, but I'm guessing scrap the lot and start again might be what you will say.
If you've patiently read this far thank you  :mwaha:
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »

4candles are really good at telling you which size wick you need to get. The wick size is dictated by the size of the container you are making them in. What diameter was it?

Looking at their website, the wick you bought is supposed to curl into the flame and so self trims. Is this what is happening? If you look at the information on the wax I think you have bought it suggests the following wicks-  WickWell P2 - so perhaps you have the wrong ones.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
JR

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

Thanks Suzanne,

I've used the wick type that was advised by 4candles but I think the size was wrong, (not sure which of us made the mistake)  also the wax burns very quickly.  The wick doesn't just self trim it puts itself out!  I don't think thats supposed to happen.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: