MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 26, 2020, 12:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326753 Posts in 22234 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Wax melts - anything I need to know?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Wax melts - anything I need to know?  (Read 1479 times)
Denice
Hero+ Member

« on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »

I've decided to go into work today and play do some serious product research  whistle

I have some soy wax which I got from Michelle ages ago and I NEED to put it to good use

Do I simply melt the wax, and the EO's (what %) and pour into the mould or is there more to it than that.  Are there 'good' temperature guides as to when to add EO's and when to pour into moulds etc?

I'm at a conference (some 800 women) at the beginning of October and the organisers love what we're doing and so are giving us a space at the back of the main hall.  My thinking is that I'll make some melts in our fragrances, get a little electric burner and have our amazing aromas drifting around whilst all the talks etc are going on.  The hope is that this will entice people to buy LOTS of products because they smell so amazing  Wink
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:22:02 AM »

This might help Denice?  :buttrf:

http://www.fresholi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=90:recipes-and-tutorials-for-home-fragrance-products-&layout=default

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 11:34:10 AM »

Thank you Helen - that's just what I needed  Smiley
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »

Depending on the wax Denice there will a temperature you need to bring it to when you melt it. It usually says on the bag when you buy it. I think the one I have at the moment says 70 degrees, but others I have had have been different. Also, there are container and none-container types so you would need to be sure which one you have if you are going to unmould - or not.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »

How much wax should I allow for the little tartlet type, cupcake size? 

Depending on the wax Denice there will a temperature you need to bring it to when you melt it. It usually says on the bag when you buy it. I think the one I have at the moment says 70 degrees, but others I have had have been different. Also, there are container and none-container types so you would need to be sure which one you have if you are going to unmould - or not.

I'll double check when I'm at the office -thanks Suzanne

:buttrf:
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »

I use the soy pillar blend wax. Add EOs at 70-75C.
Also check the flame point (?) of the EOs, the wax gets hot when it's in the burner.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

Fill the mould with water. Then you need 3oz wax to 3.5fl oz water (the book I have is from the US).

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 11:48:48 AM »

Don't pour when the wax is uber hot, poor cooler and leave to cool/harden at room temp rather than put them in the fridge, because then you're less likely to get a a little sunken dimple on the top Smiley
I use a blend of pillar and container soy wax (as per Ms. Pants helpful advice). I found that using container wax made the melts too soft and a total biatch to unmould. I melt in a Pyrex jug on low-ish heat in the microwave.

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 11:50:26 AM »

You could consider a diffuser - like this diddy one, battery or mains.

http://www.auravita.com/product/Absolute-Aromas-Aroma-Mouse-Fan-Diffuser.ABAR31508.html
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 12:34:20 PM »

http://www.auravita.com/product/Absolute-Aromas-Aroma-Mouse-Fan-Diffuser.ABAR31508.html

That's a nifty one. Must investigate further. Thanks for sharing Elaine.

Herbalator
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »

I found those whilst I've been trawling the internet and I thought they looked quite good. 
I'm borrowing an electric one from a friend - if I really like it I may of course be wanting one all of my own Wink

The little tartlet size of mould takes almost 25g, so actually calculating the amount of wax was quite simple.  I don't think I made them strong enough - I used 5-6% EO blend and probably 8-10% would be better. 
I'm thinking I could remelt  some, add a bit more EO and then remould them, though I'm not sure if reheating will spoil the eo's that are currently in them.

I rather liked making these - quick, not too messy and almost instant result

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:17:52 PM by Denice » Logged
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »

Also check the flame point (?) of the EOs, the wax gets hot when it's in the burner.

That's actually not something I'd even considered  Shocked

Any idea how hot the burners make it?  Not sure how I check that  Undecided
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 08:32:18 PM »

That's actually not something I'd even considered  Shocked

Any idea how hot the burners make it?  Not sure how I check that  Undecided

Here are some. It also says on the MSDS sheet, at least on the ones I have. for example Litsea >70C.
http://www.nuscentscandle.com/essential-oil-flash-points/

And another:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art65630.asp

Forgot to say that the warmest I have measured my wax in my home made burners was 114C. But some burners have smaller distance between light and bowl so I'd think they may get warmer but am not sure.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:37:42 PM by Eva » Logged

Herbalator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: