MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
January 19, 2021, 02:58:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326838 Posts in 22248 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  Had my first craft fair.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Had my first craft fair.  (Read 2520 times)
sdq

« on: March 04, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »

Hi all,   :buttrf: :buttrf: :buttrf:

I had my first craft fair this weekend. It was for 2 days. I did not cover up the table cost, way behind it. But being my first time selling my handiwork it felt so so nice, seing people like it, getting interested and buying it. You know I froze up when my first customer wanted to buy my soaps. One was mp and the other cp.  I forgot the price and stood there not knowing what to do. Luckily my lo took over and told her the price and pulled a bag out. And when she left we were like she really bought our soap. I know I sound silly.
 but it was a good experience for me. Even though I did not make money, I felt very nice actually.

And the main main thing and I owe this to somebody, she really gave me a lot of encouragement, advice, support and help. I was crying couple of days before the fair feeling very nervous and scared. I might not have got the courage to this without her.

Its  :buttrf: TANYA    :buttrf: GOD BLESS HER :buttrf:

She is really so lovely. (dont have proper words for that) but a TRUE FRIEND.
It is so nice to have someone like her as a friend. She stayed up the night before my fair to help me.
 big hug big hug big hug

And a BIG THANKS to all you FRIENDS  here too.   :buttrf: :buttrf:
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »

Well done on attending your first fair - pity about the takings but you'll have more confidence for the next one.
andoy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »

oh well done. where are the pics?
Ali Daisy

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »

Ahhhhhh that's great that you are really positive about it even though you didn't cover the cost of the stall.  Grin  I'm really looking forward to doing craft fairs but I do worry if I'll make any money  Sad Good luck for you next one!  Grin Grin Grin  :buttrf: :buttrf: :buttrf:
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:02:33 PM »

I think the first one is the hardest and the most exciting!  I'm sorry you didn't cover your table, but I am glad you enjoyed yourself....
sdq

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »

Thankyou EJ. Andoy, DaisyAge and Lindy   :buttrf:  :buttrf:  :buttrf: :buttrf:

I was/am bit sad about not recovering the cost, but dont want to think about it. Last week I went through a lot - most importantly my laptop screen crashed. I tried to fix to desktop monitor, it worked for 2 days and then it stopped working right on friday afternoon. All my labels, everything was in it. And I hadnt any backup.
And when I was unloading I got a penalty ticket, inspite of haven spoken to the Ceofficer, he put the ticket as soon as I went in.
so I am not going to think about anything now. or else it going to hit me hard. At that point I felt like turning my back and going back home.

Well looking at the positive side, I was happy my soaps are liked.

Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 08:59:15 PM »

oh well done! Give yourself a pat on the back!  Smiley It is a shame about the takings, but you may well do much better at the next one - my first fair was like that, think I just about covered the table fee - but at the next one 2 days later I made a nice profit. Once you get into doing them you will find most of them great fun as well, it's good for your confidence and you get to make friends with other crafters.
It's a lovely feeling when someone buys some of your products isn't it  :buttrf:
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »

Well done on your first fair. The one I did at the weekend was a waste of time. They are often good for networking and you never know what will come of them.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 09:21:01 PM »

Well done taking on your first outing. It can be so nervewrecking. I'm afraid many fairs and markets are pretty much not viable anymore. So going forward, research each one fully. Have faith and pride in your creations, be picky.

As for our lovely Tanya, I've said on here before, she truly is a ray of sunshine. We live in Ireland, so most of you won't have met Tanya IRL. But I can honestly say, there is something very very special about that girl. One doesn't meet many of those people in life.

Tanya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »

Sdq, I think the amount of work and time that you put in last week was truly fantastic. You should be very proud of yourself. Your confidence is absolutely sure to grow. A massive congrats to you and it was a pleasure to help  Grin Anytime.

Eire  Grin Cheque is in the post  Wink  :mwaha:

It will all be grand!!
www.facebook.com/soapiculture
sdq

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »

Thankyou Vanilla, Suzanne, Eire and Tanya,   :buttrf:  :buttrf:  :buttrf:  :buttrf:

I havent got anything booked for the next one yet.I am looking into it. And it is def a great confidence booster to see your products liked and wanted. Previously I used to just give my friends (for trials).
it was nice speaking to other crafters as well. but overall enjoyed it. The best bit there was these 2 ladies(not together) who were looking for mild soap for sensitive skin. And when I showed them the Goatmilk honey oatmeal soap they really liked it. They even said How do we get in touch with you when we want more. and that was that time I felt so nice.

You are right Eire about Tanya. She is def a ray of sunshine when you are covered with dark clouds. I felt like really speaking about it here and letting others know that people in the same trade can be very nice as well.
Hopefully one day when I earn enough I will come to Ireland for hols and come and meet you all.  Wink
Soapwitch

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 06:25:08 PM »

first craft fairs are a learning curve. and i am sure you have brought back a lot of ideas you will use at your next fair.  the main thing is you enjoyed it. well done and good luck with the next one  Smiley Smiley Smiley :buttrf: :buttrf: :buttrf:
fireweed

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »

Sdq, thanks for sharing your milestone!  And even if you didn't make money, you've taken the first step which is more than i can say for myself  Roll Eyes

From what I gather, sales is an art form and techniques matter as much or more than the soap does... must have been such a wonderful feeling to make sales, even if they weren't plentiful Smiley

Good work ! 
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 10:16:28 PM »

Gosh, I had no idea you had this looming and that you were so nervous.  Aw....  big hug  but thank goodness Tanya gave you the support you needed at a time you needed it (to Tanya  big hug  :buttrf:)

How wonderful!!!  You know what, you'll always remember that first customer.  I remember mine at Fresholi.

Don't worry too much that you didn't cover your costs on this occasion.  You got exposure, experience and courage and, no doubt, new ideas about how to move things forward, which will gather momentum.  I am so pleased for you and VERY well done for overcoming your nerves and seeing it through  Happy Bounce big hug

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
sdq

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 12:01:30 AM »

Thankyou Soapwitch, fireweed and Helen,   :buttrf: :buttrf: :buttrf: :buttrf:

I have def learned a lot, I am going to prepare myself more, try to label more better. This time it was black and white on paper stuck with glue on cellophane. I learned that I need to put big labels around my soaps to say eg. made with just olive oil and goatmilk  or fragrance free GMH and such. And maybe try to mention the benefits of these.

It was only when I was telling the customers about what I have used in the soaps and what benefits it contains, got them interested.

And you know what Helen, your fos were really liked. My my honey pie was loved by all, then bubblie - OMG the kids once they had a sniff of it, they couldn't keep away from it. My mistake I did not make a soap of it. I had used it in Bath bombs. I heard their parents saying to them its a lot of money for just one time use. It was just £3. Well next time its def in a soap. People liked the peach one as well.

Well I was very v scared and didnt want to go, but Tanya really gave me a lot of courage. I like talking to people but was so so scared about it. Well now I can say it wasn't bad.

Well Thankyou to you Helen for this forum, from where I got a lot of Info, support, advice and help. And for the allergen counting sheets. (I hate that work). And to Scott def.  :buttrf: :buttrf: :buttrf:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: