MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
May 01, 2024, 10:54:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Sea Shell Candles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Topic: Sea Shell Candles  (Read 6764 times)
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »

I've been doing more research on making candles and I came across THIS.  I am so going to try this because I love collecting shells and we have some magnificent oyster and large clam shells around here.....  I have wax, wax colour chips and FO's, oh yeah wicks too which I suppose might be kinda important to this endeavour.

At any rate - I wanted to share this with everyone....
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:17:29 AM »

Beautiful!  :buttrf:
I wasn't able to see any of the videos for some reason.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »

Well that sucks!  Basically it is Martha Stewart and she puts the shells into a large casserole dish that is filled with sand so you can level the shells.  She dips her wicks into the melted wax and then positions them into the shell.  At this point she pours her melted wax.  I like the idea of leaving the wax natural (she uses beeswax - white mind you) and then just scenting them.  I have lots of large shells lying around here I just have to go to the hardware store to get some sand and I can give this a try.

I think these would be so much fun and what a great seller for tourists in the summer.  Must play.....
Lisa

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »

oooh now i gotta go to the beach and get some sand n shells and start playing....cos i haven't got much to do  :mwaha:
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »

What size wick would you need, do you think?

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 11:42:01 AM »

They are very pretty. There is something at the back of my mind that says hot sand, but I wonder if I am thinking of something else.

I love the idea of melted wax to set the wick. I have always used glue dots and it has been know for me to have to chase the wick around the glass! Not sure about leaving a candle lit when you go to sleep though.

Oh no. Hot sand was for making quill pens and nothing to do with shells!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:46:12 AM by Suzanne » Logged

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

Instead of sand you can use some crumbled aluminium foil and just push the shells down in it. I use it for anything that needs support like breakfast eggs and so on. Smiley
If you don't need a lot you can use rice or beans and similar.

Herbalator
Hayley
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »

This looks lovely, what a great idea.  Thank you for sharing Lindy  :buttrf:
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

You're welcome everyone.  I'm off to the store shortly to get some sand.  This is going to be my New Year's Eve project.  Kinda symbolic for me to bring in the New Year with a new product...

I am thinking you would use the same wicking as you would for tea lights - I have some of those, well and a bunch of others too.  I already have lots of shells but I might go collect a few more just in case.  I have some gorgeous, huge oyster shells that are stable on their own and I think I have some big clam shells too.

Suzanne I'm with you - there is no way I would leave a candle lit when I go to sleep Shocked
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 03:12:05 AM »

I have shells (sitting in bleach water right now), I have sand, wax, fragrance, wicks and as soon as the shells are ready I'm going to do this.  I just so love this idea.
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »

And here they are - taa daa

http://s424.photobucket.com/albums/pp328/lindaluf/Sea%20Shell%20Candles%20-%202013/

These were a lot of fun to make.  Got messy a couple of times, but, well, if it didn't then you would know it wasn't made by me...... :mwaha:

Thanks for looking & welcome to 2013!  (I actually have 1 1/4 hours left to go, but there you go)
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 08:07:57 AM »

They look lovely!  :buttrf:

Herbalator
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

Thank you Eva!  I am going to change my wicks though to one better suited to beeswax..... 

They burn really nicely though....
Lisa

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »

They look lovely Lindy, soywax would work ok wouldn't it? Im going to try it as soon as I can get to the beach with being blown into the sea! its a wild day here today  :mwaha:
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

They look lovely.

I am sure soywax would work Lisa. It is a shame we don't have shells like that on the beaches here.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: