MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 09, 2020, 05:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326809 Posts in 22243 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  tarty melty things
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: tarty melty things  (Read 1412 times)
Janie-aka-Selkie
Hero. Member
Hero+ Member

I'm a little teapot

« on: January 24, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »

ok so I've been making a few tarty melts, mainly for Helena but obv we're gonna inflict them on our customers at some point.

I've been using Ecosoya CB135, but I'm just getting a nagging feeling of disappointment from it! It just doesn't last long at all, scent throw is a bit pants (even at 10% fo) and well basically you get maybe 20 mins or so before the melt is gone, and the smell doesn't last much after that. To be fair there is a tendency towards candle-nose in this house so we've been using a completely new fo each time, ones our noses have never encountered before but even so.......... Now the melts are an average weight of 11g, which is about the right size and shape/s to fit in the burner, but we would want more than 20mins smell from that tbh.

So I was thinking, should I ditch the cb and go for pb?

Would adding a small amount of beeswax add longevity?

I do not want to add paraffin, at all so that's out.

Stearic?

Give up?

Get a normal job?

Help!!

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning......
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:35:31 AM »

Would love to helpJanie, but I have absolutely no idea. Undecided
Maybe a knowledgable person will come along soon

Just didn't want you to feel like you we're being ignored Grin
The Craftbox UK

Cosmetic Packaging Solutions

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »

My other half used to make these and he would always add a bit of stearic, they used to last ages so I would try that first  Grin

Hel x

http://folksy.com/shops/CraftboxUK
https://twitter.com/thecraftboxUK
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »

Which FOs are you using? My melts are around 10g, made with a soy pillar blend, and only 4% FO. I stick to candle only ones. My scent throw is great x

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »

I use 6% eos and use soy wax. I don't seem to have a problem.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »

No problem here either. Especially FOs seem to last forever.
I use Soy only, pillar blend and about 6% FO.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

try pillar blend Janie, I have no probs with that, they last forever.

Janie-aka-Selkie
Hero. Member
Hero+ Member

I'm a little teapot

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:55:10 PM »

I've made a few today that are 80% cb135 and 20% beeswax, cos until the stearic and pillar stuff is delivered I thought I may as well give it a go, and funnily enough I had loads of beeswax to play with!

They are much harder, in a good way, they shrunk slightly away from the moulds so merrily plopped out rather than having to be forcefully encouraged out which made that part of it much less faffy and they had a much nicer finish, smoother and sheenier.

Helena is going to try one later to see if they work better than the others, fingers crossed they do!

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning......
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:31:38 PM »

I thought I commented on this one already but apparently some fairies been messing around.  Grin

Anyway, I use soy was pillar blend and about 6% with FOs and about 8% with EOs. FO scents lasts forever it seems.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: