MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
June 04, 2020, 03:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326819 Posts in 22243 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Soy melts are spitting!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Soy melts are spitting!!  (Read 2786 times)
Pemberley

F

« on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:05 AM »

I have been testing my new soy flakes out with various fragrances and so far so good. However this morning I tried some fragranced with blueberry and after about ten minutes the wax started to spit!!! I blew it out straight away from a distance, but gosh, that's not good!! I used 7% fo. Previously I have used 6% with other FOs and they haven't spat like that although some didn't last for long enough. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Should i just abandon that FO???

Facebook: Pemberley Bubbles
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

Is the FO ok for this type of product I wonder?  Some aren't (as I understand it)

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Pemberley

F

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »

Yup, I had checked about this and apparently it's suitable for melts, including paraffin and soy, but not gel. Just goes to show how important testing is, just not worth taking a risk!

Ray.

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

It sounds as though some how some moisture has got into the wax or the wick, wa this the Same batch of wax that you used with no problems with another FO?? Some batches of wax will spit straight from the manufacturer as I think it is washed during the refining process and can have some moisture left in, this is usually apparent at the melting stage mind you and it can be burt off while melting the wax, I mean that without burning the wax just evaporating the moisture, although you can't do that one the candle is poured. Have a check of the base wax, but it does sound like moisture in the wax to me.

Ray
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 02:32:11 PM »

Are you making melts or candles?
Whichever it is one need to check the flashpoint of EOs and FOs. For example Peach FO at GF has a flashpoint of 100C.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »

Thtas not good. I ditto at what Eva said.

I must admit my first reaction when i saw title of your post was Did you spit back? :mwaha:

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
Ray.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:57:03 AM »

As far as I am aware flash points are for the raw material which changes completely when added to something, once added to a product it changes as we intentionally mix it to become part of the wax, so I would do a little more research on that one. I know it is talked about on US forums as being the case but I read from a manufacturer that the flash point is only the guide to the raw material, it doesnt mean that it will explode when the candle reaches a certain temp.

Ray
Pemberley

F

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:48:51 AM »

Hi all, thanks so much for your replies! Ray...I am fairly confident there was no moisture in the wax, it was a bag of fresh wax, carefully stored. I have used that same batch for other melts with other FOs and no probs at all. They are melts, I haven't made candles with them...that'll be abother day's learning!

I have tried to find the flashpoint for this but there is no info on the website. I think I am happy just to dump this FO and continue with the ones I have tested with good results.

And Michelle...no, i didn't spit back, although i did utter an expletive!!!  :mwaha:

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 01:00:51 PM »

:mwaha:

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: