MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
November 28, 2020, 11:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Tea cups candles advise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Tea cups candles advise  (Read 1308 times)
soapsbylouise

« on: December 09, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »

hopefully this is not on the wrong part of the forum, apologises if it is.

I have posted a help question for my teacup candles on this forum and on the Dish forum to get loads of advice. 

I have received good and constructive advice here but on the Dish someone advised to rethink about making teacup candles.  I am now unsure about making them just in case they are not safe.  I have made a few and used them myself and they have burned well without and cracking of the cups etc.  My question is does anyone else who makes candles what containers do you use? How do you know they are safe? How much testing do you do?

At this rate I will only be making tealights and melts.

I would appreciate any advice or opinons

xxx

twitter - soapsbylouise or louisebriggs2
Facebook Louise Briggs
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »

Ok - there should be no issue making these. But you have to think about problems when using antique cups. Some of them are very thin bone china and may have had knocks over the years. This will create invisible fissure lines that can and will crack if there is a sudden change in temperature. I know, as my mum collects these and we use them for drinking tea (she thinks there is no need for them to gather dust). The odd one has burst.

This is much more of an issue when using them for their intended purpose though, as a cold cup will get a sudden hot tea added and any invisible fissures cause a problem. With a candle it will be gradual warming and only visible fissure could be a problem, if at all.
Best thing would be to hold the cup at the handle and ping it. If the sound is dull, it has a problem. If it makes a nice, clear sound it should be safe enough for candles - and always sell it with the saucer and advise to never leave a candle unattended.

Earthenware doesn't make a ping, by the way - not sure how safe they are for candles though, so no idea.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
soapsbylouise

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »

Many thanks for that, i didnt really want to use vintage cup as they felt to thin use.  I have found nice modern ones that we are thicker therefore I feel safer?
I do intend to warm the cups slightly and pour cooler and will test these out.

thanks again
x

twitter - soapsbylouise or louisebriggs2
Facebook Louise Briggs
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: