MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 26, 2020, 06:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Beeswax
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Beeswax  (Read 1550 times)
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:51 AM »

I would like to make beeswax candles - how is it in containers?

I want to make dip candles as well....

TIA
LizzyH

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 09:48:59 AM »

It works well in containers, but it does shrink quite a bit as it cools - this makes it pull away from the sides, and it can crack on top as well.

If you are using transparent containers you can't do a double pour to even out the top, because it will run down the sides where they have pulled away from the container, and you'll get a very uneven look. If you cool it really slowly that should avoid cracking.

LizzyH

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:50:30 AM »

Oh, and wick size and type aren't the same as for parafin candles, so if you've been making those it's not a straight switch - you'll need to do some experiments to find the right size for a good burn.

madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »

It looks like I may be able to get hold of some beeswax from a bee keeper soon. I was thinking of maybe making some candles. Do I have to treat the wax in any way? As far as I know, it will be unfiltered, untreated as is from the bee keeper.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:46:48 AM »

Hmmm - maybe I'll just use the beeswax for the dipped candles.  I have some container wax here so I'll have a play with that too.

Thank you so much for your help... :buttrf:
LizzyH

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

Madpiano - I think all you need to do is filter it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: