MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
November 28, 2020, 12:03:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Making candles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Making candles  (Read 1654 times)
Sarah5

What I do when I'm not soaping...

« on: July 17, 2012, 11:37:33 AM »

I love candles and I wondered how easy is it to make my own in my favourite FO's. What do I need?  what is the best wax to use? Do I need to add anything to the wax? and wicks?
Any ideas tips would be great, also do you need to have SA's for candles? how do you test etc?

It's craft, it can't be perfect results every time!

http://www.sarahsoaps.co.uk/
Laura1986
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »

I will start to make my own candles as well.
In think soy wax is a good choice As it is full in trend at the moment.  Smiley
Hayley
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:42:12 PM »

I have made my own wax melts for my burner and they turned out very well.  There used to be a really good candle resource on the main site somewhere.  It was wrote by Kevie and it was good to follow.  If you can find that it will be a good read for anyone wanting to start out making candles.  I have found it, here it is http://www.fresholi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=593:wax-melts-and-candles-introduction&catid=25&Itemid=51d

It is under members articles, there are a couple of articles to browse  :buttrf:
thewaxworx
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »

Anything you need to know just PM me.

Andy
(The Wax Worx)
Sarah5

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »

thanks guys! xxx

Hayley
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

Smiley

No problem, have fun  :buttrf:
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »

with soy wax, you'll need a bigger wick than an equivalent candle made with parafin as it burns cooler. make sure you make lots of testers and test burn them and take notes (for all containers and different fragrances). legally, you need to have a warning label on the candle. keep the wick short too. if I remember anything else, I'll come back. ooh, with soy wax, stir the fragrance (8-10% for FO) in very well, at least 2 whole minutes. Smiley

Sarah5

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:16:15 AM »

Lovely, soya wax sounds so much nicer, do you have to add anything to it, or is it just a case of melt and pour?

retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:16:10 AM »

pretty much melt & pour, but don't pour when too hot, wait a while.

soapsbylouise

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »

Also, save some wax after your first pouring, wait till the top has set and prick gently the top as you might have a 'dip' so you can pour some of your saved wax into the small cavity.  I have read you might have to this twice.  Unfortunately i didnt put what i read into practice  :mwaha: and my nice candle had nice cavities!  still light well though lol :mwaha: :buttrf:

twitter - soapsbylouise or louisebriggs2
Facebook Louise Briggs
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: