MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 20, 2024, 09:55:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Tea lights and height of flame
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Tea lights and height of flame  (Read 2584 times)
soapsbylouise

« on: July 04, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »

Hi
I have finally made my first batch of tealights, jam jar and tea cups candles. All made with Soya wax, candle dye and fragrances.  I am please how they have turned out. I even had a go at layering 2 colours of candles in a jar.  Photos to follow tomorrow!

My question is I am burning one of my tealight candles, i know i cut the wick a little to long but not by much, the flame is burning quite high just over an inch.  Is this because of the wick isnt short enough? Or is it because I am not using 'shop bought' tealights and wax is soya and not parafin?

twitter - soapsbylouise or louisebriggs2
Facebook Louise Briggs
TerrisGold

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »

According to Candles by Elaine Stavert, if the flame is large and smoking, the wick needs to be trimmed to 1/4" or use a smaller wick.

BTY, nothing to do with your question, but did you prime your wick first by dipping it in liquid wax?    I hadn't realised this had to be done..

looking forward to seeing your pics......... :buttrf:
soapsbylouise

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 08:29:44 AM »

Cheers for that, i did think i left the wick a tad long.  Next batch i might by tealight cups with wicks already in there.  The soya wax was a breeze to work with and did not smoke at all - even at the end of burning.  All the candle was used up in the tealight.  The wick i got was already prewaxed which did cut out that fiddley bit.

Pics will be taken today and uploaded.

thanks again xx :buttrf:

twitter - soapsbylouise or louisebriggs2
Facebook Louise Briggs
TerrisGold

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:03:55 PM »

.......pre-waxed wicks.......................yay............... Grin
thewaxworx
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 03:00:07 PM »

keep your wicks trimmed to 4mm for best performance, if the flame is still too high or smoking then the wick is too large.

Andy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: