MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 26, 2020, 12:20:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326753 Posts in 22234 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Frosting Of Mould
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Frosting Of Mould  (Read 1296 times)
thewaxworx
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:44 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone experienced or know why some fragrance oils, but not all, frost and ruin Polycarbonate candle moulds? I'm not talking about the cheap plastic moulds that you can purchase, but the quite expensive Polycarbonate which should be pretty much resistant to most things within reason.
I use them all the time and have done so for almost a year now and never experienced it before until the weekend just gone. I'd already fragranced four candles from the same mould but the 5th was just one too far and it frosted the mould. 3% fragrance is the industry standard so I'm wondering what went wrong?

Andy
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »

Hm, I'm not sure. I heard that with silicone moulds its the Stearic that can make them do that, but not sure about polycarbonate

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
thewaxworx
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:07:51 PM »

nah, stearic acid rots latex, silicone is better than latex in that its stronger and more resilient. Stearic acid hardens wax and colours it white, it also helps the wax to shrink a bit so it can be de-moulded easily and it makes wax hold more fragrance than wax can hold on its own.
Polycarbonate is usually pretty good. Did you receive your money for that fragrance?

Andy
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »

Thanks for the technicial explanation Grin Yes I did, thank you Smiley

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
thewaxworx
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »

Lol, I just read it back, it was a bit technical wasn't it? Lol. Still, helps everyone to understand what they are using and what it does.

Your Cola cube soap looked and smelt fab Alphya!

Andy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: