MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 23, 2020, 09:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  The Wombling Free Board...
| |-+  Recycled, Revampled, Rehashed...
| | |-+  Soap Moulds!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Topic: Soap Moulds!  (Read 9114 times)
Galaxy Girl
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

I got my freezer paper in the local kitchen supply shop in Sevenoaks, I just it for crafting, but might try lining some Ikea drawers with it.

soapobsession

Soap is an Art form - Live to soap

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »

I noticed some are asking about moulds. Here is what I do. Make a wood box with some ply about 12mm thick, thinner and I don't get the right amt of insulation heat wise. Yours maybe different over there due to the cold weather so make it out of thicker ply. I don't have drop down sides or nothing on it, basically it's a box. get the pieces precision cut at a lumbar or timber place take the pieces home and nail or screw them together.

I line it with laminating film that has been ran through the laminator, I collect or pay for the offcuts from a laminating place and get about 2-3ft lengths and they are about 2.5ft wide, but for a small mould an A3 size pocket ran through a laminator without paper in the middle would suffice.

What I do is then measure the base of the bottom of the inside of the box and draw the box on my piece of film and then the sides like it's all laid out flat and the sides of the box have flipped down. Then I cut out the corners of the film. So I am left with a big cross, I then score with something blunt the lines where the sides of the film are to fold up (fold the creases in them) and then trim off any excess and pop it in the box. If you are accurate with cutting the film then it won't leak much, if not it will. (can also grease the wood with some vaseline) To get the soap out of the box I bang the side of the box upside down on a bench and out comes the soap. The box has to be made perfectly square and has to be higher than the soap. I don't worry about lids and the likes, just cover the soap with an old towel or towels. 

* laminate.jpg (52.5 KB, 472x354 - viewed 583 times.)

* laminate.jpg_thumb (51.31 KB, 200x150 - viewed 325 times.)

www.platypusdreams.com.au/blog : www.facebook.com/Sharon.PlatypusDreams :  www.youtube.com/naturalsoapbodycare
soapobsession

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »

I needed 2 posts because of the pics, plus I kept on writing. lol.

Here is a pic of what to use if the soap is sticking to the laminate really bad, it took me a while to get the hang of using one of these spatulas but it works better one way compared to the other. It's a spatula that they use for plastering walls.

Also if it attaches is a pic of some teflon bakers sheets that they use in commercial baking, these are not cheap but don't need washing if you gently remove any excess soap. The first couple of times they leave a slight brown discoloration to the soap which can be scraped off, with use they don't leave any color on the soap but with lots of regular use they do become quite brittle and can be repaired with clear packaging tape on the non soap side.

I have other moulds which are the likes of those thick plastic cutting board type from For Craft Sake in the US, it is good 150 bars in a hit but I hate the cleaning up the mould bit/pulling it apart and reassembling. It's time consuming. With the wood ones any excess soap that is left in the mould can be scraped up with a stainless steel plaster spatula thingie like the plastic one in the pic.

Oh if you can't get hold of laminate, that thick black builders plastic will work as well but it gets out of shape easily due to the heat of the soap and you end up with wrinkles in the bottom of the soap. Some use garbage bags but it's not a very good look on the outside of the bars IMO.

I hope this is of help to some as buying moulds is not a cheap exercise. Cheers Sharon

* bakers-sheets.jpg (64.58 KB, 591x443 - viewed 585 times.)

* bakers-sheets.jpg_thumb (62.54 KB, 200x149 - viewed 323 times.)

www.platypusdreams.com.au/blog : www.facebook.com/Sharon.PlatypusDreams :  www.youtube.com/naturalsoapbodycare
soapobsession

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »

Here is the spatula that I am talking about

* spatula.jpg (19.79 KB, 472x354 - viewed 562 times.)

* spatula.jpg_thumb (42.6 KB, 200x150 - viewed 321 times.)

Joy
Moderator Emeritus
Hero+ Member

I wonder if I should dye my pussy to match my hair

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »

What a useful bit of info. I was lucky enough to have a wooden mould made for me for free by a retired cabinet maker. I must admit I find the soap has less surprises with my wooden mould that I do my plastic one although my lavender soap did start to crack even in that.

PS love that soap. Jealous

I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures.
http://hippynews.blogspot.com/
http://www.dragonflydawn.co.uk (work in progress)
JGorse
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »

Thanks Sharon  - some really useful advice there.  big hug

I'm trying to persuade my Dad that he can't make moulds for me (reverse psychology & all that, him being a bloke 'n' all  Grin ).  He's not taking the hint just yet so I'm working on it - & my Mum's on his case too
 :mwaha:

Oh, and  Jealous of that beautiful soap.
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »

It certainly is a gorgeous soap.

That information is fantastic Sharon, thank you so much for taking the time to explain that in such detail and to include some really good pictures.  Do you think maybe this information could be added to the members resources on the main site?  I will of course credit you and link to your site.  I am not sure whether you are registered to the main site are you?  By adding it to the members resources, the information can be accessed more easily instead of looking for it through the boards and threads. 

If it is ok, I can publish it so that it is either public (accessed by visitors and members), registered (for registered members only) or special (for author members - which you will be once you have registered to the main site).  What do you think?  Don't feel in any way obliged though Sharon  Smiley

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
soapobsession

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 01:31:28 AM »

Hi Helen,

I don't mind, lining moulds is the bane of most soapmakers existences and washing liners is the second one on the list. Re-word it to make more sense etc. I don't mind at all. Cheers Sharon

JGorse
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »

OK, can somebody please reveal the "normal" size/dimensions of a wooden mould - preferably for both a 500-600g batch & a 1kg one, before my tiny brain explodes confused
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 09:56:59 PM »

Hi sharon,

I have just added that great article to Members Articles on the main site

http://www.fresholi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=471&Itemid=51

It is currently public but if you prefer it be for registered members, just let me know (let me know also if you want to make any changes to it  Wink)

P.S.  You are also an author on the main site now  Smiley

P.P.S. Thank you  big hug

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »

For anyone who works in a pharmacy.. you could use 'blister packs' that medication gets dispensed into. Each little tiny compartment is a cube shape. [The blue film over the top is the seal, the trays are just empty clear plastic]
My pharmacy have recently stopped using one type of blister pack, so I took the remaining ones home, to use for bath melts/mini scrub bars.

* nomadbox.jpg (23.35 KB, 320x320 - viewed 630 times.)

* nomadbox.jpg_thumb (33.33 KB, 150x150 - viewed 211 times.)

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2010, 05:57:31 PM »

wow, that's so cool, you could even package in these and call it the home bath kit !!

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »

That's quite an interesting idea mp Smiley

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
Littleswift
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »

A couple of years ago a German member of the classical music forum I run with my OH sent us not one but two wooden boxes of Aachener Printen at Christmas  as a token of his appreciation. These are the local Aachen version of lebkuchen - the chocolate covered gingerbread that Lidl customers will no doubt be familiar with.
Each box must have contained 4lb of produce and I never want to see a lebkuchen of any sort again in my whole life.
But the boxes are great.. You can get two and a half kilos of soap in one of those babies... Though getting it out again is another matter entirely.

I line moulds with plastic these days as greaseproof tends to go soggy and tear.
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

ohhh, I have one of those boxes and there is never such a thing as too much Lebkuchen!!  :mwaha:

I use my box to store photos and other mementos though, so no soap in that one....

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: