MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 23, 2020, 09:11:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  The Wombling Free Board...
| |-+  Recycled, Revampled, Rehashed...
| | |-+  String from the top of Animal Feed Bags.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: String from the top of Animal Feed Bags.  (Read 1823 times)
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« on: March 08, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

When we were farming Mum used to comandeer the string from the fastening of the feed bags (the stuff that if you don't find the right end to pull it just tightens up) and then crochet dishcloths for use in the kitchen and dairy, after they'd been boiled. The string is like fine dishcloth cotton (or was then, some nowadays might be synthetic but there are some with "proper string")

Then the live-in lad stopped bringing in the string - she asked him why and was told "You've got a drawer full off dish-cloths, I'll bring some more when they're getting low."

Weeks later he came in with two enormous balls of string, the lengths carefully knotted together and sked her to crochet him a couple of string vests!!
JGorse
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 03:35:38 PM »

Very enterprising wasn't he!

You try getting dishcloth cotton now - they charge a ridiculous amount for it!
Shirley
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

Ah ah I've found you!

I do love homemade dishclothes.  My mother was very nervous about me mentioning her handiwork on my blog.  She kept saying 'what if people dont like the dishcloths'  Bless her.  Then in the end its the only bit of writing that I've had no comments on :-(  I think its probably a dying art and its a shame because dish cloths come and go but cotton ones can be boiled to within an inch of their life and they spring back good as new.

Yes the cotton is so expensive and thats a shame.  However i'm going to buy some cotton jumpers at the charity shop and recycle the cotton.
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:02:14 PM »

Good idea - besides cotton unpicks much more easily than wool and you can boil all the nasties out of it.

I think too many people regard a cotton dishcloth as a grey soggy blob by the side of the sink.

There's no reason why the same article couldn't be used as a facecloth or in the bath - particularly unpicking a garment and making a back-washer.
Shirley
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »

I love them Elaine.  They work really effectively at gentle scrubbing.  Mine look really rough at times but a few minutes in the bleach and they look like new.

It would put me off though if I were to price up making some as the cotton is so expensive.  I think the last time I looked it was something like £4 a ball.  My mother usually asks on freecycle or buys damaged balls in the bargain bins.

I'll go round the charity shops and see what I can find.  The car boot sales start this weekend as well..... I do love car boots!  Yipee!
corrie
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »

You try getting dishcloth cotton now - they charge a ridiculous amount for it!
I make those JJ. I use them for face cloths and for washing up (but not the same one). I can send you one if you like?
Joy
Moderator Emeritus
Hero+ Member

I wonder if I should dye my pussy to match my hair

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »

Corrie's knitted face cloths are lovely, I've got one  Happy Bounce Happy Dance

I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures.
http://hippynews.blogspot.com/
http://www.dragonflydawn.co.uk (work in progress)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: