MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
September 25, 2020, 07:02:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326833 Posts in 22246 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  That's why I don't make candles...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: That's why I don't make candles...  (Read 2657 times)
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« on: January 11, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »

really interesting article - but way too much fuff for me and sounds like I have to burn 10 candles for every 1 I sell (knowing me, changing FO and colours is a daily thing)

http://candlecocoon.com/library.asp?ID=1

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:39:44 AM »

Thanks Sabine, I do want to start making candles so I'm reading as much as I can find.
nikkir

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:05 AM »

Wow that seems like a lot of testing and as you said quite difficult if you are planning on sellings lots of different fragrances and colours x
fireweed

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:03:11 AM »

Oh my, I see what you mean   Shocked
Janie-aka-Selkie
Hero. Member
Hero+ Member

I'm a little teapot

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

does the author have a vested interest in putting people off?  Shocked

like they have a company that sells candles, they've seen trade diminish cos of other people making and selling candles and so they thought 'aha, I'll write an article that makes it sound so time consuming and difficult and almost impossible so no one will want to do it' and then kinda rubbed their hands together and made a mwahahahaha noise and waited for trade to improve?  Roll Eyes

Cos one could say the same thing about most of the things we make, but with time comes experience and after the initial learning stage you just get to know your materials and unless you are constantly trying new combinations instead of getting a range together (playing as opposed to focussing on selling) then it shouldn't be much hassle.

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning......
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 10:17:13 AM »

I think it's quite refreshing to actually see one (or a company) outline so clearly the safety aspects. They sell the raw materials, it is good that they have given in such detail the required level of testing needed to have a not only a good functioning product but also a safe product. The person buying candles to burn is relying on the chandler to know what they are doing and to have done adequate testing.

Candles are a product with naked flame, being burned in people's houses. If the chandler is not testing sufficiently, it is imposing a risk to people's lives and their homes.

I looked at doing candles, the required level of testing didn't put me off but the insurance over here most certainly did.
It is not a loaded premium for nothing, it is the risk.

Eire

retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

it does take a fair bit of testing, hence I only have 3 scents!  I use IKEA votive glasses, and wash them out and use them for myself after the test one is done.

kathrynmc

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »

I use the ikea votive glasses, only one size wick is needed and did the same as retropants and tested it myself and then washed it out
Littleswift
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »

does the author have a vested interest in putting people off?  Shocked

I think this happens in so many in so many commercial fields. Convince people that they're not doing it properly unless they waste all their time and slash their margins to nothing (or minus figures) and they'll give up and go away.

Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 07:34:34 PM »

Actually I agree that just as we have done our due diligence with soaps and lotions to make sure they are safe, the same would hold true for candles.  Wax melts is one thing but I don't want to sell a candle that is not safe to use.  I bought some candles over Christmas that looked gorgeous with wood wicks and I am horribly disappointed because they don't burn.  The wick won't stay lit and because the top part is all fluffy like the wick burns too quickly through the "whipping" that it gets drowned.  If the chandler had done the proper testing they would have known this would be a problem.  I spent $40 and all I have are some pretty ornaments.  I wouldn't want to disappoint my customers that way....  And yes I did let her know, she told me she was going to replace them but has since cut me off her FB page even though my comments were made to her privately.

Lesson learned.
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »

That company is a candle making supplier...I guess they don't want to turn you off from making candles, but will try and avoid the "I have seen it on Martha TV" crowd going to sell possibly dangerous candles. It is not so bad if your candle drowns. Disappointed customer, that's all. If your container candle gets too hot and explodes the glass it is in or sets fire to the shelf it has been standing on, you have a big issue.

Torture test? If they need any tester, please feel free. I always leave mine burning for ages and have often fallen asleep to a burning candle. That's why I use tealights and container candles only. I assumed they are safe and have been tested.

Something else that I don't understand - Yankee Candles. Why do they have a bad name? I got 2 for Xmas and they smell lovely, burn perfectly and have really good scent throw. If I can make candles that good one day, I'll be happy.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:36:28 AM »

Sabine I think it's because it's "commercial".  I've had them, used them and liked them.  Party-Lite candles used to be really good (I sold them when they first came out) but their quality has dropped and the candles don't burn as well and the wicks aren't as good as they were.

Sabine, agreed drowning is not a danger, but not something I want to sell.  I would, of course, be more terrified of having a candle explode and hurt someone or burn someone's home down.  I know if I get into making them it will be a long time before I get into selling them. 
fireweed

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

I've never even heard about a candle exploding  Shocked
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »

I've heard of the glass container breaking from too much heat.... Undecided
thewaxworx
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 06:22:06 PM »

One thing I found through doing testing is that there are only two main sizes that I use for a variety of candles and they are a 50mm and a 60mm, paper cored wick ( I find the cotton core burns hotter than paper core). All these sites spout all these different sized wicks and I have tried loads of them. But if for example you are making a 70mm diameter pillar the automatic thought is to use a 70mm wick. I found this to be so wrong, but I do appreciate that it depends on what type of wax you are using but 70mm was way too big. If you want it to burn down leaving a nice wall sy 2-3mm thick so the candle glows when the flame drops inside then I found the 60mm wick to be just perfect. A 65mm is still too big and causes the molten was to overspill down the outside a the flame is too tall and a 55mm you may get away with but it runs the risk of extinguishing itself in the pool of wax it creates. My giant spheres (750g) I only use a 60mm wick and around the 'equator' of the candle is quite large and yet these burn perfectly. The other tip is to ensure that you keep the wick trimmed to around 4mm between burnings as even so called 'self trimming' wicks just seem to curl over and look like a little walking stick handle, this increases the height of the flame, uneven burning around the candle and smoking.
Hope this helps a little, sorry to go on a bit but no one could ever give a definitive answer on wick sizes but hopefully the above may give you a decent starting point.   Andy (The Wax Worx).
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: