MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 04, 2021, 06:02:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326867 Posts in 22254 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  christmas fair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: christmas fair  (Read 3153 times)
yomojo
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:36 AM »

I did a Christmas fair in Oxford last night – it was really bad. Not sure if it was the weather or Huh? It was at a children's nursery and we were all split into the various rooms. I was with a friend of mine who sells jewellery and another lady who was also selling jewellery. Apparently there were quite a few jewellery people there. Apparently there was a lady from The BS too.

My friend did well, the other jewellery lady did not do so good, just like me. Most people (mainly ladies) ignored my stand – think it was the jewellery they were really interested in  :mwaha: There were not many outsiders who came to the fair – actually I don't think there were any. They all seemed to be teachers and people who worked at the nursery, so not that many people in the grand scheme of things.

But I'm not down  Grin
polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »

That's good that you are not so down, these things always happen.

School fairs - not so good for our kind of products, folks only go to support the school and tend to spend a few £s only (unless t's on cakes, then they'll happily spend their cash).

And jewellery for some reason is not seen as a luxury item apparently! Folks still buy that too.

Looks like in a recession no one washes or takes care of their skin, but they do eat cakes and have jangly earrings. Go figure  Roll Eyes
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »

sorry it was a pooper!  School fairs are generally pants for me too, so I don't bother any more. People only bring a few ££ to spend on cakes like Polly said, and the tombola & raffle.  I know you aren't taking it personally, that is important, it is just how these things are Smiley

Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »

Sorry to hear that. But good that you are not down.  :buttrf:

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Littleswift
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:57:04 AM »

big hug Keep on truckin', Rajiv.

I think the problem with community events (after my awful one last week) is that people expect you to virtually give the stuff away. Coz it's for the community, like. In fact they probably think you should be paying them to take it away.

Lavender bags are useful in situations like that. Old dears like them, younger people will buy them for their mum/gran, they're cheap to make and you can at least make a few bob off them.

My other arf sold an astonishing 40 quid's worth of lavender bags in a day last week.

yomojo
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »

Thank you ladies!  Smiley

I think school fairs are off my list  Grin Yes cakes were selling well, so too many cakes – but everyone was there for the food, drink and RAFFLE  :mwaha:

Lavender bags huh - wow you would think you could sell that much in a day  Grin

I'm looking forward to 2012  Happy Bounce
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:41:08 PM »

AW.... sorry it was poor Rajiv.  Good that you are positive though  :buttrf:

'Av a cuppa on me (see, you can't say I don't offer you cuppa AND its posh stuff an all)  Smiley

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Scott
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »

Sorry it was slow Rajiv - when I was selling we did very poorly at this sort of venue - I remember taking about £500 worth of stock to a "popular" event at an old peoples "home" and came back with almost all of it - Avon and the BS catalogue had already been circulated previously.....
Andy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:06:31 PM »

Sorry, Rajiv, it's hard to know in advance, isn't it?

Regarding the jewellery, it always astonishes me people spend so much money on, erm, metal...  Roll Eyes  On this shop I sell at Carnaby st, it's by far the most popular craft.
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 02:00:35 AM »

it always astonishes me people spend so much money on, erm, metal..

I totally agree with that Andy. It never ceases to amaze me how little people know about jewellery and how much they'll pay for it.

I'm a bit of a purist with my jewellery - using precious metals, (not coloured or plated cheap metals), high quality crystals, freshwater pearls etc.  It astounds me how much is paid for something which is basically pretty plastic, but I suppose they've seen something attractive in the finished piece and that's why they buy it.  I always check the soldering before I buy any - if the little jump rings have only been closed with pliers rather than soldered, they soon start to open and the jewellery then falls apart.

Rajiv, I think you'll find that there are different 'types' of fair: the type that's basically a 'fundraiser' - that's your school fairs, charity fairs, drama club fair etc.  The goal of these is simply to make some cash to help keep them going.  The person buying at those are basically buying into that goal.  They sort of go with the idea that they'll spend £5 to help the school etc, and rarely spend more than that.
The other type is the more established 'craft fair' where it's probably easier to charge the proper price, as people who go to these aren't necessarily looking for a bargain, but looking for something which is unique and different.  They would expect to spend more than £5.
So unless you're actually wanting to support a particular cause (help raise funds for school) then the first ones are the ones to steer away from

yomojo
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »

Av a cuppa on me (see, you can't say I don't offer you cuppa AND its posh stuff an all)

Well you gave me the tea bags last time, getting close to having the tea in a cup  :mwaha:
yomojo
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »

it's hard to know in advance, isn't it?

For me it is right now Andy but it's good experience and the feedback I'm getting from all of you is great – thank you!

So unless you're actually wanting to support a particular cause (help raise funds for school) then the first ones are the ones to steer away from

Yes definitely Denice.

Avon and the BS catalogue had already been circulated previously.....

Scott – I had BS to compete with  Grin
abijay

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »

Rajiv, maybe things did not go so well last night. The important thing is you  hustled for trade  alongside the Renowned (BS & Avon) in the business, and by the time you have been around as long as they have been, you will be selling loads, and somebody else will be in the exact same spot that you're in. So, well done for last night Wink

The search for truth is not for the faint-hearted.
yomojo
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 09:36:17 PM »

So, well done for last night

Think I was competing with all the jewellery people too   :mwaha:

Thanks Abijay!
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »

Rajiv - as you grow your product and repeat some of the shows you are doing your sales are truly going to grow.  I'm impressed that you are pulling the positive out of these shows to help you learn and grow your business. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: