MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 31, 2020, 01:37:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  soy container blend - cracks!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: soy container blend - cracks!  (Read 2046 times)
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« on: October 25, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »

I have made a tester bigger (300g) soy blend container candle. I thought I had this cracking problem sussed, but this blighter has gone and made a circular crack about 1.5 inches out from the wick!  I took the wax off the heat, added the FO and stirred for ages. I then leeft the wax to cool to almost slushy before I poured. Then after the pour, I tapped gently to remove air bubbles trapped on the wick. Why the heck has it cracked so much??

Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »

Oh Emma - I wish I knew! I had this with a couple of my teacup candles  Angry

Did it cool too quickly, do you think?

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
kathrynmc

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

That happened to me, just out of the blue on one of my container candles, couldn't understand why.  It hasn't happened since, might just have been a fluck

I follow the instructions that came with my wax, which stated to cool the wax to 40/50 before adding the colour/fragrance and then pour which seems to have been working

Kathryn
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 08:37:05 PM »

Are your temperatures correct?

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »

i don't measure (anything!!!) so I have no idea, but I always cool the wax before adding FO, then stir til slushy and pour. I reckon my kitchen was on the cold side last night....should have put it near a radiator to set.

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:00 PM »

Depending on the wax there is a temperature to bring it to. 60-65 degrees centigrade for the one I use (it may vary depending on manufacture). The glasses if using them should be heated to about 30 degrees. I have not had a problem with cracking. I don't stir until slushy, but just add the EOs when the wax is at the correct temperature and pour.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:24:30 PM »

I do the same as suzanne but don't heat the glasses, all fine for me. I add fragrance just above 60-65c which drops the temp and then I pour.  Smiley

Littleswift
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »

I think I'll stick to buying candles ready made. :mwaha: I was going to get into it, foolishly thinking "well that must be easy", so I'm glad I saw this!
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:25:04 PM »

Now ain't that the truth - however I have mega candle stuff here already :mwaha:
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:31:18 PM »

it's not that bad really! I have one size sussed, just need to adjust my pour temp I think for these monsters!! :mwaha:

Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »

I really want to do the tea cup candles.  I plan on dropping over to the used store tomorrow to see if I can get some there.  I don't want to use the ones I have because they have emotional attachments to them (my Grandmother's). 
thewaxworx
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »

Try adding 1% Vybar to your wax.

Andy
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: