MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 04, 2021, 06:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326867 Posts in 22254 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  So depressed...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: So depressed...  (Read 4632 times)
polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »

Fingers crossed for today Em. we've all been there (and more than once sadly).

These are all good tips. Smiling and being chatty works well, and I always say 'feel free to have a wee sniff and try the butters' or something like that. I makes them look up and smile and start chatting (usually).

However, i have been at places where you've sold so little, you KNOW you're not going to sell any more that to be honest, I don;t knock my pan in just to try and make a £2 sale for a bar of bargain soap. (usually places like school fairs/church halls )

I know a crafter who makes beautiful glass beads but she can spend 10 minutes often more with someone telling them about how she makes her products and at the end the customer buys a bead from  the bargain basket. All that work for £1.
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »

Best of luck for tomorrow.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 09:45:01 AM »

Will be thinking about you today, Em - hope it goes better for you! I can only echo what others have said and I particularly like Helen's idea of taking the raw materials to show people!

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
alishelly
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »

Hope today is going to be a better one for you  big hug
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 11:00:41 AM »

Hi Em

Sorry yesterday was rubbish, just saw the thread now, so can't offer any advice ( think you've had it all anyway)

Hope today is much better :buttrf:
PurplePrincess

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »

Hope todays a better day for you Em, it can be so depressing when things go poorly.

I always tell folk to feel free & have a sniff too & have wee sample pots of the body butters at the back of the stall so potential customers can try some first  (only if I'm handing them the sample scoop or they will dip fingers into unattended pots). I've also found standing works better than sitting behind the stall, especially as my tiered soap stand is quite high so people may not see me & I can engage them more easily if I can see them too.

This can be a tricky month sales wise, folk are only just starting to think about the christmas shopping & money is tight for many. Having said that, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason why sales are better some days than others.

Don't be too disheartened by a poor day tho, we all get them!

big hug big hug big hug
Sally x

Love, light & lather.
www.findhornbaysoaps.co.uk
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »

Good luck today, Em. :buttrf:

Eire

Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »

Good Luck Em - I hope you have a much better day than yesterday.... :buttrf:
Em

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »

Thanks everyone, you've offered loads of great advice!

Yesterday was better but not good enough to make up for Saturday. I ended 50p short of my table money. At least not the MAJOR disaster it was looking set to be.

It was a mixed bag for the other stall holders. Some did very well indeed, especially the lady with handsewn goodies. Some others, like me, didn't make table money. There was a good steady flow of potential customers but many just not buying or interested in my wares. This being a fair in town that people just pop into, they don't necessarily come with any intent to buy, just to peek in.

I would consider doing it again as it was a nice event and with all your handy hints might do better. Sadly the other weekends before Christas thet it's on I'm otherwise engaged (blooody uni at weekends!) so will have to wait til next year.

I didn't have an oil burner on (I only have candle ones and though that a H&S no no) but I did dot tissues with my Christmassy blend around the stall and I think that did help. Annoyingly the really srong odour of next door's incense was actually putting people off from spending much time looking round, we heard people complaining it was too sickly as they were leaving.

I haven't let it get me down too much - we all have to have bad events sometime and I'm very fortunate that this was my first. Helen - I will definitely take your advice of bring some raw ingredients with me, that's a superb idea to get people engaged. I do always encourage people to use the testers and talk to them about how it's made, so that will just bring it to life.

My next one (York) is in middle of November so there may be more Christas gift purchases going on. However, I've been warned that one can be a wash out too... Will come prepared, all singing, all dancing! In the meantime I'll be getting the keys to my new market vaults Hobbit Hole and painting it up all lovely!

www.worldtreetherapies.co.uk
lyndsayfink
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »

ah, sad for you it didn't go well, it seems a bit hit and miss with how folks do with their stalls  Undecided

I just wanted to say I really like Helen's idea of having some raw materials out, I think that would really emphasise how special small producers products can be, made from real ingredients and are lovely in their own right, and also showing the skill it takes to put them together to make a product.  :buttrf:
Littleswift
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »

I  would be seriously considering complaining to the organisers and requesting a partial refund bacause the incense stall stopped people from buying your produce. I would be really livid. People probably thought the 'orrible pong was your stuff, not the incense! it sounds really skanky. You might as well have a pile of dung by your stall Sad.

Maybe it's just me but I always associate bad incense with dirt and slovenliness as that is so often what it is used to mask. And you need an atmosphere of freshness and cleanness!!

It was stupid and unfair of them to put you there. I bet it was the kind of crap they sell round Brixton.
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2011, 05:16:03 PM »

When I've been booked at Craft Fairs, I have always asked that they do not put me right next to the Cake Stall or someone else selling fragrant items - you'd think it would be a good position to have, but I think it is unfair to the cake people to have fragrances wafting from my bath bombs etc in their direction. I've never been refused, so perhaps next time it would be an idea to contact the organisers and ask politely if you could have a table next to someone whose products are unfragranced and aren't food-orientated.

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 05:20:50 PM »

I found that when I'm placed next to a candlemaker or something else with strong scents my sales drop.  I prefer to be by the food area believe it or not because people look while they are standing in line. :mwaha:
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »

same as Lindy here - my things don't smell as strong as a certain shop, so it isn't usually a big deal. But the food stalls are always busy and people are hanging around. Mostly they are just looking and sniffing though, rather than buying....

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Littleswift
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »

same as Lindy here - my things don't smell as strong as a certain shop, so it isn't usually a big deal.
Nothing else on earth smells as strong as a certain shop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: