MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 09, 2021, 07:47:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326867 Posts in 22254 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  So depressed...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Topic: So depressed...  (Read 4635 times)
Em

« on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

Today was a complete wash out at the first day of a craft fair in Helmsley. Though the regular stall holders were complaining it was quiter than normal, there was a decent amount of traffic through the fair but sadly my stall seemed to be wearing a giant cloak of invisibility. All day, literally 5 people approached the stall, barely anyone even glanced in out direction despite us being OPPOSITE THE ENTRANCE and one person made a purchase. £6 to show for the whole day!  Cry

Not particularly relishing going back tomorrow but I really want to try and scrape back some of our table cost. And the lady next to us is selling really pungent incense which has been giving me a headache all day. Grumble grumble.

Ok, whinge over. I will be all sunshine and positivity for tomorrow!

www.worldtreetherapies.co.uk
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »

take an oil warmer with you and light it? The smell sometimes helps to lure people over....I used to take wax melts for that.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

oh - and you need some of these

big hug big hug big hug big hug big hug

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »

big hug Group hug big hug Group hug big hug
Em

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:04:19 PM »

Thanks - you're cheering me up already.  Smiley

www.worldtreetherapies.co.uk
nakedtruthbeauty
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »

Aw honey, I'm sorry. Helmsley is so lovely too, would have thought it would have been a good venue. Who are the organisers? Does the incense lady sell helicopters too? Big hugs, hope tom is better  big hug

Littleswift
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »

take an oil warmer with you and light it? The smell sometimes helps to lure people over....I used to take wax melts for that.
This works - I can vouch for it. We have electricity on our stall now so we use an electric vapouriser.

Also, people are inattentive and in a hurry.  And up their own arses to be frank. If you can just print out some signage tonight that says HAND MADE SOAPS, it will help. Also flag up any other products you sell. A lot of people don't use soap, alas.

I totally sympathise. It sounds like when we started at Spitalfields. It was like we slipped into a dimension where soap was a dirty word. But we learned a lot.

This is not original advice but make your stall as eye catching as possible and try to get things up on different levels using boxes, cases, shelving - anything you've got. If you've got pretty, glittery scarves or anything, take them in. Don't worry about your stall looking like a tart's boudoir. People are superficial and have NO attention span. Make it into theatre.

Thrust  your best smelling testers at anyone who comes near.
But above all, pump out those scents. If you have two oil burners, take two! Or three!
And if sales are still poor, don't blame yourself. You did your best.

I was so shocked at how tough it is out there. But never despair! There is always a way to raise your game.

Very, very best of luck tomorrow.
 Give 'em hell!!
Honey
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »

Ok for a person who never had a market stall I don't really have a right to comment.. but I do some promo work in my full time job for prospective students and that involves me standing at a table and talking, talking, talking and answering all the questions in the world.  The best thing I've learnt is stand in front of the stall at times, as people walk by say hi, how are you ... would you like to have a look at our things? Did you know that.... and throw out some fab tips.  You are inviting people into your space, direct eye contact is so useful and people react much better when you engage with them like this. 

Just my tuppence worth!

Bergamia

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »

Oh  bless ya, it's very disheartening isn't it, I know when I've done Mind Body and Spirit fairs and people say oh Reflexology, I don't like feet, and I think grr, I'm the one touching them not you lol

Best of luck for tomorrow you WILL do well  :buttrf:

Wants lots of money to make lovely lotions and soaps Smiley

Jo x
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »

Hope you do better tomorrow xx The most important thing to do is smile loads! More people will approach someone with a friendly, welcoming smile Smiley

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 10:51:10 PM »

Good vibes for tomorrow Em!!
Littleswift
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »

Do you do body butters, creams, balms etc as well as soap?

My other half says as soon as you've got them to rub some on themselves and smell it, a sale is almost sure to follow. At that point the punter quite often buys a soap instead/as well.

His analysis is that there is something quite intimate about rubbing in a body butter etc. It creates a sort of emotional connection... Which he then exploits ruthlessly.  :mwaha:

In any case, all the advice about smiling, chatting, *engaging*, is absolutely right. Don't sit there reading a book!
nikkir

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »

Hello there and sorry to hear that things didn't go well. I dont actually sell at the moment but i have worked in sales for a few years selling Clinique at a counter and if it was me this is what i would do tommorrow as well as what the others have said.

Take a couple of bars of 2 of your best selling soaps. Cut them up into very small slices and if you are really quiet ask people if they would like to try a piece of your hand made soap.

Make sure you say the word free, people love a freebie and it will get them to come over even if its just to decide which fragrance out of the 2 they want to try. Give them it with a card/leaflet whatever you have and hopefully they will start tolook at your other things while they are there.

At worse you will lose out on what it costs to make a couple of soaps but usually this approach will get people interested and even if they dont buy there and then if they like the sample they might repurchase.

Sorry for the long reply and you probably already know all this just thought id try and be helpful. Good luck x
LQT

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »

sorry to hear about the poor sales, hopefully tomorrow will be better.. Definitely  some great tips in this thread!
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »

Oh dear... I am so sorry  Sad

I know this is really late and you probably have already left by now for today's show but I was thinking, at fairs and other similar events, if you can get people talking, it arouses the interest of others, who want to know what the people you are talking to are so fascinated in. 

Why not take along some raw ingredients.  Butters grab the interest of people for some reason (I know this myself whenever I have someone around and they want to know what's what and the shea and cocoa seem most curious to them).

If you can grab someone's attention, show them the oils/butters and other good stuff that goes into the products, so they don't just see a bar of soap, they begin to see the qualities and understand the benefits etc....  Let them touch, feel and smell the ingredients.  Most people (I find) seem really curious about them.  People passing by, are bound to slow down and try to earwig, at which point, draw them in too.  If you are genuine & passionate, it will rub off.  If you can find a way for people to sample/use your products, there and then, then I would do it - rather than give them a sample to walk away with.  If you can grab the interest of a few, it can become quite viral, as others may want in on the action too because nobody likes to be left out  Smiley

I really hope that today is a better day for you  :buttrf: :buttrf:

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: