MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 09, 2021, 08:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326867 Posts in 22254 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  Sometimes I don't know why I am doing this.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Sometimes I don't know why I am doing this.  (Read 3205 times)
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« on: September 10, 2011, 05:40:38 PM »

Another average craft fair, which I am beginning to expect. If that is not bad enough, there quite a few people who said "that smells nice, but I can't use soap"!! So, why do they stop to look?

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:43:31 PM »

And the pity is, that they have probably never tried "real" soap! I used to think I couldn't, but I have no trouble at all with my own bars *sigh*

I have have a few people say "Oooh, that looks too pretty to use!"  - and you can't really say "Well, OK, just buy it to look at it, then"

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:07 PM »

I tell them I can't use commercial soap either because I get really bad dermatitis, mini hives and little blisters.  It's why I started making my own bath and body products, I'm allergic to the detergents....

That usually stops them dead and gets them talking - sometimes I get a sale out it. :buttrf:

I know how much those people annoy me too Angry
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »

It's why I started making my own bath and body products, I'm allergic to the detergents....

Just counter by saying you prefernot to wash in detergents (or even "synthetic detergents") - most of them will equate "detergent" with washing up liquid/household cleaning products without knowing what "detergent" really means.
Honey
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

When people say stuff like that, I think "well, you know, I really don't want you to own anything of mine anyway".  Honestly, I work hard to make nice things, if someone isn't going to be nice about them, then I just don't want to know. 

Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:15 PM »

OH I am so sorry. 

I wouldn't take the comments personally though.  Most people really don't realise how much of yourself you put into creating your products and when they say things like 'I can't use soap' or similar, they are not always that sure whether they can or not - it is just that they have probably had a reaction from something previously and put it down to every product and its lid that they had been using.  Like Lindy suggested, talk about your own experiences and the reasons you got started on your own products and how selective and careful you are because of your previous bad experiences.

big hug

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Andy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

Sorry about the fair and silly comments...  :buttrf:

Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »

If the comments come early enough in the day before you have lost the will to live it is sometimes worth asking them at least WHY they think they can't use soap?

A lot of people are too closed minded to even think, but occasionally you will get someone open to a new idea.

I have an elderly lady at one of my markets who didn't think she could use soap, and we worked out it was actually fragrances she had a problem with.

I make a special unscented batch for her and she is delighted.

We long to soar like eagles, forgetting that sparrows, too, can fly ...
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »

The comment came not long after someone asking it the soap penetrated the skin. I can't tell you what I wanted to say.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
Iulia
Hero+ Member

I'm on the right!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »

I had someone on Friday asking if the soaps were 'pure aromatherapy'

nothing in the world would make her understand anything I was trying to say

she said (picking up a soap called Green Tea)

"well what's in this?"

Me: a fragrance called 'Green Tea'

Her: but is it aromatherapy?

Me: no, is a perfume

Her: but is it natural?

Me: (not really) yes it is grown on the perfume tree

How about I just put a bar in your mouth and you can taste how pigging pure it is!!!!

We long to soar like eagles, forgetting that sparrows, too, can fly ...
PurplePrincess

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 08:24:47 PM »

Thats a shame, Suzanne, would it be worth printing out a wee handout explaining the difference between commercial soap & yours & why yours is so much better for the skin? Folk need educating sometimes, especially those who come out with the type of blanket comment like the people today.

Sally x

Love, light & lather.
www.findhornbaysoaps.co.uk
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 08:26:38 PM »

Oh dear Iulia! We must all have the patience saints.

Sally, I am fast coming to the realisation that some people are just lost causes. I do need to re-do my flyer thingys so it may be a good idea to add something to that effect. Thank you for the suggestion. Of course, it only works if they read them.

Henry Ward Beecher
Sleepingdragon10

Is it bedtime yet?

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »

Aw Suzanne, seems like you're really getting disheartened now big hug

polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:01:06 PM »

Suzanne, sorry you had another not great fair. It's just the norm these days by the sounds of it. I hope you've got a large glass of wine close by
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »

I took chocolate with me (always prepared).

Henry Ward Beecher
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: