MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 25, 2024, 10:14:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  A Catastrophic Start to My Fair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: A Catastrophic Start to My Fair  (Read 3885 times)
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« on: July 23, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

OMG!!!  I have these wonderful store fixtures that you put your shelves on and they look amazing.  My show set-up was 2 sets of these plus an 8 foot table.  I got everything all set up including antique shaving bowls/shuttles - some for the 1880's.  I'm talking to a customer when the whole thing falls over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Strop  I simply couldn't believe my eyes!  The good news is no-one was hurt, it happened before the start of the show so I was able to run home and get the other table, and it happened at a fair at home. So got the mess cleaned up (lost $400 in product including the antiques), have everything in place again and go to move the drawers with the cash register on it when I drop the cash register on its head....  Turn it back upside right, get it to quit squealing like a piglet, make sure it's still working and sit down afraid to move.  Cry

I have never had such a bad start to a day that I can recall.  As I sat there I decided that it just had to get better!!!  I'm happy to say that I made my rent today so the next 2 days are profit.  Tomorrow is the big day and I need to take some extra soaps in to make sure I have enough.... 

So it was a horrid start (I'm still a little wound up), but it ended on a positive note.....  :mwaha:

I took pictures of the set-up after the disaster and I'll get them posted by Monday... I need a nap...  Tongue
Em

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:49:04 AM »

You derserve a nap! That sounds like a horrible way to start the day but it ended well! Hope you have a fantastic next few days!

:buttrf:

www.worldtreetherapies.co.uk
dizzybuff

Lives at insomnia central with the night owl.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »

:mwaha: sorry Lindy that made me chuckle .  Roll Eyes But at least its out of the way and didnt do it in the middle of the day . best of luck for the rest of the fair.
Topcat

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »

Oh my goodness!!!  I read your title and thought you must be exaggerating Lindy, but I can see now that you weren't  Shocked 
I am glad no one, including you my dear, were hurt *hugs*

Tanya Smiley

Blog ~ http://titaniasdreamydelights.blogspot.com/
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:45:43 AM »

Oh Lindy, that sound just awful, not only is it upsetting that it all collapsed, but to loose all that stock and your antique bowls.

At least the rest of the day went better (though I don't think it could have got any worse) and now you'r on profit which hopefully will go some way to covering the lost stock etc

big hug
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »

big hug big hug big hug

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:02:15 AM »

oh dear Lindy, so sorry for you!  Losing the antiques must have been especially upsetting, as they can't be replaced.  But at least no-one was hurt like you say.   Sad
polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »

What a start! It's good no one was hurt but the loss of your antiques is a sore loss. Glad you are now in profit and I hope the rest of the fair goes wel for you.
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »

Glad it ended good. What a day!  :buttrf:

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »

Oh, Lindy - my heart goes out to you  big hug

I'm glad that no-one was hurt, but what a shame about the stock and the antiques  Cry

Here's hoping the rest of the fair is a huge success for you!!!

Hugz, Pam

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »

My sympathies Lindy - I can't imagine what you felt like after a catastrophe like that!
Sleepingdragon10

Is it bedtime yet?

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »

Oh Lindy!! I think I'd have just sat in a heap and cried :mwaha:

Good on you for holding it together and re-setting up, although the loss of all that stuff must be incredibly hard to take big hug

halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »

whaaaaat?! that's horrible! so sorry that happened, Lindy - hope the rest of the weekend goes MUCH better!

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »

What a start! Things can only improve and I think you deserve a glass bottle of wine.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Lindy
Global Moderator
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »

Thanks everyone - I was absolute stunned when it happened and once it was cleaned up, reset and I could sit down to rest I was so nauseated.  I managed to settle down and just got back to focusing on the show itself.  I did this show 2 years ago and it was a wash.  I had competition that year and my location was horrible, my neighbour stuck out 10 feet in front of me.  This year it's a new organizer and she has done an amazing job.  So all these things added up to being a better show, plus it's almost 3 years into the business and people know who I am.

I've offered to volunteer and help get this fair promoted properly to bring in more tourists so we can go back to being a large successful festival.  This year is our 48th anniversary so it would be a sin if it were to continue collapsing.

At any rate - I'm praying for no disasters in the next two days......  :mwaha:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: