MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
October 23, 2020, 09:26:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  The Wombling Free Board...
| |-+  Recycled, Revampled, Rehashed...
| | |-+  soap recycling - I love this
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: soap recycling - I love this  (Read 3048 times)
halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« on: June 18, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/17/cnnheroes.kayongo.soap.qa/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Helen
Founder
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »

That's wonderful!! Thanks for sharing, bubbles  :buttrf:

We rise by lifting others.

Fresholi's Facebook Page
Mrs Green Hearts

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »

wow!
its great to see someone recycling all that otherwise wasted soap.

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »

What a great idea!

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:06:16 PM »

That's wonderful!! Thanks for sharing, bubbles  :buttrf:

:mwaha:  I see that stuck

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Nature

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 09:22:50 PM »

What a brilliant idea, nice to see it going to good use    :buttrf:
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »

Impressive work.  :buttrf:

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »

Thanks HBOP - there was mention of this project ages ago somewhere; good tosee how it's grown.
Zizibee

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 11:01:13 PM »

Brilliant! Good man!  :buttrf:
TerrisGold

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 04:03:48 AM »

Great project................. :buttrf:
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:26 AM »

It reminds me of what "Clean the world" do?

I think these projects are brilliant, but they are all based in the US at the moment (Clean the world are thinking about a EU collection point), so it's a bit expensive to send our scraps there.

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

I'm not so sure about this.  Surely there's not a proper list of ingredients - I know that random bars are being tested but still there won't really be reliable info about allergens etc
The problem in the developing world isn't actually soap to get clean with (even the poorest of communities are resourceful enough to produce soap/cleansers) it's clean water to use.
The money from this project could be used to enable struggling communities to resource clean FREE (UN pumps have a charge) water which they can drink, cook and wash with, not a bar of soap.

:spbox:We've seen first-hand how computers donated by 'well-meaning' people in the west are unusable and end up as waste on rubbish heaps in Ghana.  Child scavengers are then sent to dismantle them for copper scrap and end up with copper poisoning.  Some die from the fumes of burning plastic as they try to release the copper.  Most of these computers are taken in by well meaning charities at a cost far greater than purchase of new computers.

Surely we need to evaluate the effectiveness of our aid through donating things like soap and computers and put our resources into offering skills and employment which have long term value.

There's an African proverb - 'give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he'll eat fro life' - We need to learn from that - enabling is much more effective as aid - not an elastoplast being stuck on the problem

madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 09:50:31 PM »

In my home town in Germany they have a computer collection centre. If it is working they give you a bit of money for it, otherwise they take it in for free. What they do with them? They offer computer repair courses to the young and long-term unemployed. The refurbished computers are then sold at a low price to people on benefits and they also run general "How to use a PC/MS Office/Internet etc" courses. The sale of the PCs and the courses finance the project.

I think that is a brilliant idea. I wish they'd have a centre like this here. Might actually be a business idea, if business rates wouldn't be so high...

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »

That sounds like a great use of resources - postive training towards a future.

In Ghana there was a Liberian refugee camp, where a couple of the men managed to buy an old car.  They used this to train the young men (many ex-child soldiers) mechanics.  When the car was in good working order the 'trainers' would undo all the hard work and use the same vehicle for further training of more young people.
When they eventually moved back to Liberia (about 18mths ago) the old car went too.  They've since managed to start a proper mechanics school and develop what they started in the refugee camp!

To recycle and train and develop skills is brilliant, what bothers me is when the west uses the developing world as a dumping ground and makes it sound like it's something good that they're doing by calling it recycling!
Denice
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:17 PM »

Might actually be a business idea, if business rates wouldn't be so high...
If it was set up as a CIC some councils would wave the rates!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: