MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
January 23, 2021, 06:51:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326838 Posts in 22248 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  The Things People Say
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: The Things People Say  (Read 2094 times)
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« on: May 15, 2011, 10:49:02 PM »

At markets and craft fairs lots of people ask if I make everything myself - they seem quite amazed that an "ordinary" individual can make soaps, creams etc. which are as good, or even better, than lots of the commercial stuff. (I'm in the process of putting as many of my creams as possible into airless dispensers - better for testers).

Another remark is "These would make lovely birthday or Christmas presents" (do I take that as meaning that they think they're too expensive for everyday use).
clewis
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:17:17 PM »

I'm passionate about exactly that... Obviously you should feel fantastic and proud your products are as good as or (most probably) better than lots of commercial products. Just need to get more people realising this..... Also educating people into "believing" they can make their own products, if not as good but sometimes better than the commercial version.
Sorry for the outburst but I do feel very strongly about this at the moment... xx
shelltilly

Shelltilly

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:56 AM »

:mwaha: I get looks of disbelief too all the time, they can't believe that an ordinary individual could make such a produce as soap,  I think many demonstrations to people can actually change that.  I did one and everyone bought from me on the night and are still coming to see me at my stall to stock up on more having used it, and word gets around too.  They don't bother to try and make it themselves, they think its not worth the hassle and would rather buy it instead.
Perhaps some pictures of you making it on show might help them.

Shell
Andy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:24:04 AM »

Maybe not expensive, but a treat? Do you sell gift boxes or just have the products on their own?

I have the impression some people don't 'treat' themselves to nice stuff but like to give them as presents instead. Sometimes I wonder if it's because they don't think it's 'good' for them but would suit people they know...

I don't think your products are expensive, EJ - but I live in London!  Wink
dizzybuff

Lives at insomnia central with the night owl.

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:18 AM »

I see where you are coming from EJ , but my husband used some Beer soap we had bought at a local craft fare the other night and said can I make him some  :mwaha: Hes determined we are not using mass produced stuff now  Roll Eyes
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »

I meant to post these a while ago - they are all from my first event.  One comment was overheard and one was said directly to me.

This conversation took place between the chap selling yummy handmade chocolate - he was offering samples - and an elderly lady:

Stallholder: "Would you like to try a sample?"
Elderly Lady: "Oooh no, thankyou, I was psychologically traumatised by chocolate as a child"
 Shocked Shocked Shocked
Later the same day, an older gentleman came up to my stall:
Older Chap: "Are you anything to do with L______?"
Me: "No, I'm Green Witch Crafts and I make everything that you see here myself."
Older Chap: "Oh good - because L_____ supports terrorist organisations, you know"
Apparently, he was referring to their support of the Sea Shepherd. There then followed a five minute rant about eco-warriors!

People are odd - I do wonder sometimes if they realise that they are being rude -one girl gave the Chilli Product stallholder a really brusque answer when asked if she would like to try a sample (her sweatshirt did bear the legend "Moody Mare").

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »

hehe yes some people are very rude!  A group of teenagers approached my stall the other day, one of them made a beeline for the lavender soap, picking up the sample bar to sniff.  She immediatly threw it back down, backing away as she did so with a look of horror & disgust on her face, saying she couldn't stand lavender!  She then stood several feet away while her friends browsed, refusing to come any closer.   Roll Eyes

I also often get people ooh-ing & aah-ing about how nice things are, saying ooh I like L___  but your bath things are cheaper, then walking off not buying anything.

Also get many who are amazed that I make it all myself.  But before I started making my own products, I always imagined that to set up a cosmetics business, you would need a science degree and your own lab.  So I guess many others think the same.
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »

On Sunday one guy with a pink nose spotted my after-sun and said "If I knew there would be a stall like this here I needn't have spent ten quid in BS before we set off".

Then turned to the eldest of the sprogs and sproglets he was shepherding and asked "What shall we take back for you Mam?"

The girl was holding a bar of Nos Da soap - "Ah with a blend of calming essential oils - she could do with that!" So he added matching hand and body lotion, explaining to me that his wife was on nights at the Maelor General.
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »

The girl was holding a bar of Nos Da soap - "Ah with a blend of calming essential oils - she could do with that!" So he added matching hand and body lotion, explaining to me that his wife was on nights at the Maelor General.

Ahhh, bless - those are the ones who make it so worthwhile!

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Janie-aka-Selkie
Hero. Member
Hero+ Member

I'm a little teapot

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

At my farmers market I am constantly getting asked who makes the products on my stall, so I (or my daughter) explain that I do, all by myself, at home.

More often than not I get a look of utter shock, followed by a look of faint disbelief, then they slowly look me up and down, noting the multiple tattoos, purple hair, piercings, sarf lundun accent, individual clothing and assistant (daughter) who has a cherry red spikey pixie crop, more piercings, highly dubious clothing, same accent and pause for a worrying moment before going 'wow, you are really talented, how do you make all of this? I LOVE all your stuff', and then buy loads  Grin

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning......
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »

People are very odd. I had an older lady who asked whether I made soap with olive oil in. She was obviously expecting me to say know and was then going to tell me I should. Her face when I told her all my soap has OO was a picture. Didn't buy though.

I think where you are selling affects what people will pay and I do still think that people expects to get bargains at markets.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Em

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »

A lady was looking at a detox salt scrub and her husband said "you don't want that, just get some out of the shaker at home!".

www.worldtreetherapies.co.uk
Daven

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »

I used to work in a mens clothes shop many years ago after I left school.  It was only a small shop and was on the main road so we got quite an eclectic mix of customers.  We had a few funnies which you may like (all true!):-

Customer - "How much are those 5.99 trousers there?"
Me - "To you sir - £6 and a penny change!"
Customer - "Dat's great I'll have a pair!"

Rastafarien customer - "How much are the caps up there?"
Me - "The same as they are down here sir"
Customer - "Can I try one on?"
Me - "Of course sir"  I take a cap off display and he removes his woolen hat and the biggest bunch of dreadlocks fall around his shoulders.  He plonks the cap on top about 6" from the top of his head!
Me- "'erm I don't think we have one big enough for you sir!"
Customer - "mmm me tinks you is right!"
 :mwaha:

Lasercutz.co.uk
Avril

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:19:07 PM »

:mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha:
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: