MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 02, 2020, 07:20:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326806 Posts in 22241 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  assessments for incense?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: assessments for incense?  (Read 1841 times)
lyndsayfink
« on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »

Does any one know if you need assessments etc for selling incense? I hadn't thought so but then I saw silvergilt's post here http://www.forum.fresholi.co.uk/index.php/topic,5267.0.html saying about putting raisins on her SA (or am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?!)

Huh?
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »

Raisins or resins? :mwaha:
Resins infused in oils that are used for skin application purpose need to on SA, incense does not need SA, as it's not in skin contact or applied to the skin.

Eire

lyndsayfink
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »

I do mean raisins!!! and prunes and the like!!   :mwaha:

But resins too.

I nearly ready with my incense and I've been looking about to see if I need any paperwork for it and silvergilt posted about why she wanted dried fruit in her SA (which is used as a base for some incense) and that implies she has a SA for her incense?
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »

I thought it was a misprint. Sorry. :mwaha:
SA's are for cosmetics though.

Eire

lyndsayfink
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »

I don't blame you! It sounds a bit mad  Grin

This is why I'm a bit confused as I thought they were for creams etc.

I've tried to search about for regulations for incense but had no luck finding anything.

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »

Don't think you need an assessment, but I could be wrong.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Honey
Hero+ Member

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55:07 PM »

I don't believe you do - they are termed home fragrancing and, as with candles, I believe you do not require an SA.  You may want to check with your insurer if you require additional/different insurance though.  You may not, however. 

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »

You dont need a SA at the moment for home fragrancing such as candles and incense , however there is some talk of regulations being applied to andles such as wick tests, fo's etc. So there maybe in the future.

To be honest it does make sense to me that candles and incense sticks should have some sort of regulation after al if you can smel it you can inhale it. If someone was using some dodgy stuff in their products Id hate to think what it could do to the lungs

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
lyndsayfink
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »

To be honest it does make sense to me that candles and incense sticks should have some sort of regulation after al if you can smel it you can inhale it. If someone was using some dodgy stuff in their products Id hate to think what it could do to the lungs

Thanks Michelle, this is exactly what I started thinking about! I could be putting something in there that I've guessed is ok as it's a herb etc used in cooking for example but actually is harmful. Going on traditional usage practices seems risky. I've e-mailed my local trading standards to try and find out if there is a list of prohibited ingredients for products that will be burned but so far no reply. I searched about in the web but couldn't find anything.
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »

Cannabis is a herb apparently makes good cakes but dont think it would be legal :mwaha:

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
lyndsayfink
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »

I think would be a big seller, I'll call the blend "relaxing"  Shocked

I'm hoping TS can help me out with this or I'm going to carry on being too scared to actually start selling. I was doing really well with my R&D and getting all my photos together for online store and now I feel stuck!
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

Bearing in mind that commercial candles tend to be made from paraffin wax which emits carcinogens, does that mean as assessment will take them all off the market?

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: