MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 09, 2021, 08:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326867 Posts in 22254 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Craft Fairs, Events & Workshops
| |-+  Craft Fairs & Events Notice Board
| | |-+  Organizing Craft Fairs ??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Organizing Craft Fairs ??  (Read 2158 times)
shelltilly

Shelltilly

« on: May 05, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »

Well I'm well versed on organising craft events now and have decided to hire stall instead.
The red tape is unbelievable under my Council anyway.  They want 300.00 upfront and any cancelation of even I don't get it back unless its 7 weeks before the event.  The hireing of the room is 16.00 per hour for only 8 tables, then I have to have a licence to let tables, purchased only from the council., I havn't asked how much that is yet.   Then apart from all the stall holders being insured for 5000,000 I have to have an events insurance too which is 153.00 per event or 250.00 for 15 events held over the year. 
What an outlay, not knowing wether its going to be a goer or not.  I also have to have stewards and count numbers coming in in case of fire insurance etc.  I can't run one and attend my stall as well.  The stalls would cost 40.00 and thats with no budget for advertising in the local paper of flyers, and no profit, which I wsn't bothered about, so it's not going to happen, unless church Halls etc are a little less demanding.
I'm too nervous to go ahead at the moment.
Well the intent and idea was there

Shell Smiley
Nature

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »

What a shame, Shell, I think you'd have been a really good organiser but that is sooooo expensive....a big risk  :buttrf:

I have the same problem in this area, there is already somebody (m&p at £1.50) and he virtually rules the roost.  I only get invited when he's on holiday!  Silly and I have tried to explain that my products are completely different but it doesn't seem to have sunk in.
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »

Blimey Shell that seems a little excessive. I think part of the problem is the size of the venue, sounds like you just cant make it work.

Have you tried showing the Council the costings and saying if you want to let it  you have to make it viable.

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
polly
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:08:31 AM »

That is such a shame Kathie - what a lot of money.

Hav eyou tried your local shopping centre? That's were my sister has hers, so really she only needs to deal with the council for the licence, and the mall management for the rest.
Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »

oh my, surely the council should want to encourage enterprise & new events, but it sounds like they are throwing up a whole load of red tape and those costs are ridiculous!

That is such a shame.  I hope you are not completely put off, there must be other venues that won't be so harsh.   :buttrf:
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »

Eight tables isn't enough for a decent fair though.

Any community centres available - no problem there re toilets and light refreshments.

Rugby club, tennis club etc. with clubroom/pavilion?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:56:43 PM by EJ » Logged
LimeBlossom
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »

Such a shame Shell....
Andy
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »

Such a shame!

But thanks for explanation, it made me understand why organiser of an event at the council hall are charging £150 + VAT for the cheapest/smallest booth!  Shocked
dizzybuff

Lives at insomnia central with the night owl.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »

one local to us has been arranged in a local rugby club as ej says , they are happy for the extra income from food and refreshments . scout and guide huts are a good one too , and working mens / conservative and labour clubs as well.
fionab

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »

That's too bad. You would think in this economic climate that they would want to encourage enterprise not kill it dead. Damn bureaucracy!!! Angry

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: