MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 04, 2020, 12:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Wax Melts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Wax Melts  (Read 2992 times)
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« on: April 14, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »

I am about to make some wax melts, but I have 2 questions

1) can you melt the wax in the microwave?
2) how much scent per 100g?

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »

Hells teethI wouldnt its flammable. Double boiler method. I just use my old pressure cooker half full with water and have a stainles steel bowl that fits perfectly onto rim and melt the soy flakes.
Question 2 You can add up to 10%FO I usually find 8% is plenty strong.

Its a good way of using up FO's you dont like but customers seem to if you know what I mean.

Have fun

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
sidewalk

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:26:55 PM »

I have melted e wax, olive wax and beeswax in the micro but only short bursts and checked, not sure about the percentages for the fragrance.
Not sure about candle wax though.sorry.
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »

cheers - double boiler it will be then...don't want my microwave to go up in flames, lol....

www.bubble-works.com
Curlywurly

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:02:04 PM »

Hi Mad

is is soy wax? lots of tutorials for making soy wax tarts, and supplier websites say you can melt it in the microwave though i tend to use the double boiler method. I think there is someone on here who used the microwave sucessfully?

With regards to scent I think it depends on the FO and how strong it is and how strong you like the scent throw. I tend to use 5 - 10% depending on the FO.
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »

well, It is my first time making these, so I just melted 100g and I had some Honeywash FO left, it was 9.37g, not good for anything else, so it was added to the soy wax. One way of getting rid of these odd amounts.

It took forever to melt (I was very careful, didn't want to overheat and burn off the FO), but set real quick (on the edges where the mould was cold). Do they need to cure at all, or are they ready to use as soon as they are set?

I think I like this melt making - if they sell well, it would be a real nice shelf filler for when I forgot to make more soap...

www.bubble-works.com
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 01:18:18 PM »

hello MP, they are best left for at least 24 hours (well soy candles are anyway, longer if you can) I use a max 9% FO, 10% if I'm feeling norty Smiley

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:19:14 PM »

Hun did you add the FO to the melting wax?

Normal procedure is to melt the wax then stir in the FO very gently so you dont get bubbles n pour. If you add to the wax as it is melting you are risking losing some of the fragrance as it heats off. Because you are pouring into small moulds it sets and cools more rapidly so you keep the fragrance

madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »

I added it after the wax was melted - but I didn't want to have to wait for it to melt and then cool again...been doing too much of that over the last couple of days. I wasn't too gentle with the stirring - will try softer next time.

And tomorrow we will have lovely wax melts in the house - yay

Thanks for all the help. Now comes the worst bit - how to package them....yikes....

www.bubble-works.com
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »

I was thinking just this day if you had tested doing some yet. Well done you!  :buttrf:

I never can wait to next day trying them so I put some smaller ones or bits and pieces in the burner right away. One just have to try. But they do smell more after a couple of days.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
alishelly
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »

I am going to have a go at wax melts soon, would you sell them individually do you think, or several in a pack (or both ??)
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »

alishelly - I have no idea, to be honest - I think both, but not sure about pricing either. Found this site to give me an idea:
http://www.scentedcandleshop.com/online_store/scented_wax_tarts_1249.cfm

www.bubble-works.com
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »

mine are 50p each, but are smaller than those fluted type ones (which are to big for most burners). i use ice cube shaped moulds - stars, hearts etc.

alishelly
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 04:35:24 PM »

mine are 50p each, but are smaller than those fluted type ones (which are to big for most burners). i use ice cube shaped moulds - stars, hearts etc.

That's a good idea I have some of the fluted type from 4 candles and I did think they were a bit on the large side I have some Ikea ice cube moulds I might try in those.

alishelly - I have no idea, to be honest - I think both, but not sure about pricing either. Found this site to give me an idea:

Also take a look at this company http://www.northumbriancandleworks.co.uk/epages/BT3359.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3359/Categories/Online_Shop/Soy_Wax_Melts
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »

I used to sell mine for 85p about 35g.

Not sure people would pay that in Plymouth though

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: