MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 17, 2020, 04:42:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326750 Posts in 22233 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  EOs in candles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: EOs in candles  (Read 1793 times)
alishelly
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »

Has anyone tried EO's in soy wax candles, and if so did you get a good result? So far I have only used FO's but would like to give EO'S a try  Grin
PurplePrincess

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »

I found some worked better than others but got a really off putting fuelly smell with grapefruit & eucalyptus oils. Petitgrain worked reasonably well but did fade over time. Lavender worked better when mixed with something else & I think patchouli worked fairly well but it was a long time ago & the memory is fading!  Of the ones that worked reasonably well I found it better to use them in melts, the scent throw was stronger as there wasn't a candle flame burning so much of the e.o off.

If I want an all natural candle I just leave it unfragranced now rather than use a lot of expensive essential oils that I could be using in a soap instead plus I have soooo many candle oils for fragrance so try to use some of them up.

Good luck if you do try e.o's in your soy wax.

Sally x

Love, light & lather.
www.findhornbaysoaps.co.uk
alishelly
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:10:39 PM »

Thankyou Sally, I was a bit unsure about using them and did not want to waste any, as I suppose you have to use up to 10% and that is an awful lot of essential oils I also thought the scent throw wouldn't be as good either, so on reflection I may be better sticking with FO's :buttrf:
Hayley
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »

I used some sweet orange EO and whilst is did smell nice, it did not throw the scent.  I stuck with FO, but I suppose melts would work better maybe with lav and geranium  Smiley
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »

I use EOs in soy candles. It has worked for me - so far.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »

Dont use 10% Eo in candles they can be pretty flammable. I use to cheat and use mix o Eo and Lavendar.
Different EOs are different re flammability its an absolute nightmare wicking.
OK in wax melts though as no direct flame.

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
alishelly
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:25 AM »

Dont use 10% Eo in candles they can be pretty flammable. I use to cheat and use mix o Eo and Lavendar.
Different EOs are different re flammability its an absolute nightmare wicking.
OK in wax melts though as no direct flame.
[/quot

Many thanks michelle to be honest I didn't consider the flammability issue, will defo stick to FO for the candles and make some nice melts with EO
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:07:43 AM »

But Suzanne says she uses them ok. so may be worth asking what ones and at what percentage.

I just found wicking was a problem and some EOs are heavier than others so you could get flare ups. So I dont risk it when Im selling. Suzanne may have found her ideal percentages.I knwo mine were pretty low so not huge fragrance throw and I use Soy

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:59 PM »

You should only use 6-8% of EOs in candles but I tend to use only 6% as I find that is more than enough. The soy wax does throw very well.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
alishelly
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:52 PM »

You should only use 6-8% of EOs in candles but I tend to use only 6% as I find that is more than enough. The soy wax does throw very well.

Thankyou Suzanne I will try some over the weekend I think just to see how I get on with them I will do as you suggest and add at 6%
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »

No problem, just don't put them near your curtains. :mwaha:

Henry Ward Beecher
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: