MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
April 25, 2024, 10:00:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326900 Posts in 22256 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Room Spray - Preservative Needed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Room Spray - Preservative Needed?  (Read 4663 times)
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« on: March 11, 2011, 11:04:01 PM »

I came across a discussion regarding preservative for room sprays. Do they need any?

I am not really sure....they are essentially oil and water, but I am not adding sugar, unless of course the emulsifier is sugar based?

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:10:34 PM »

My understanding is you do need a preservative, unless there is alcohol, but that can't be sold.

Eire

Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:46 PM »

But if you leave water for a long time, you get stuff growing in it, so I would say to add some.

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:30:52 AM »

I used  Cyclopentasiloxane in my room sprays  you can add up to 15% fragrance  so you only need one smal squirt but it is hellish expensive.  I only used 10%

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
Scott
Hero+ Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:04:48 AM »

I came across a discussion regarding preservative for room sprays. Do they need any?
I am not really sure....they are essentially oil and water, but I am not adding sugar, unless of course the emulsifier is sugar based?
What sort of oil MP? Just fragrance oil? If so, no preservative required really - not a cosmetic product so same rules don't apply. Which emulsifier? PS?
madpiano
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 10:10:28 AM »

I am thinking of using one of the Polysorbates, yes. Not sure which one will have to look into that. Otherwise it will be just water and FO/EO

www.bubble-works.com
blog: http://mad-piano.blogspot.com/
Avril

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »

I am thinking of using one of the Polysorbates, yes. Not sure which one will have to look into that. Otherwise it will be just water and FO/EO

hi MP, yes I thiink you are on the right track re the Polysorbates, I recall it was added in one of the course I went on a couple of years ago....
Scenty
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »

I'm another one using cyclo .. its pricey but if you can buy in bulk you'll make a saving .. I was going to use the distilled water/vodka/poly way but cyclo is so much easier
abrit
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »

I use cyclo too - but damned expensive!
Scott
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »

Anyone else noticed that some FOs don't dissolve in cyclo? I tried to make a 10% fragrance for use in a rollerball (Kenzo dupe from GF) - just separated into two layers  Huh?
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:12 PM »

Try it with some PS20.

Eire

Scott
Hero+ Member

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »

Got it to work at the time thanks Eire  (with PS20) - just an observation that cyclo doesn't work for all fragrances (or I'm unlucky to have chosen the only one that it doesn't work with)
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »

Maybe it's the type of cyclo??

Eire

Scott
Hero+ Member

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »

Maybe it's the type of cyclo??

Eire
Possibly, although most silicone based solvents are likely to behave in the same way - I've noticed some really interesting carriers/solvents (non alcohol / cyclo based) for this type of application coming in from the states in commercial formulations - will be interesting to see if they filter into the small scale market - 'course for rollerball perfumes, jojoba or fractionated coconut usually does the job - I was just "playing" with cyclo when I noticed this
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:52 PM »

Think I spotted one of them just out on a suppliers site in the States (maybe about a month ago).

Eire

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: