MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
July 04, 2020, 10:33:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326819 Posts in 22243 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  shelf life of soy candles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: shelf life of soy candles  (Read 3049 times)
PurplePrincess

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »

oh, no! they sound lovely - so sorry they got rusty. thanks for the tip - BTW, do FOs with vanilla eventually discolor soy wax like it does soap?

I don't colour my soy candles so the vanilla discolouration can be more noticable, I've also found that my pillars discolour where the wax is exposed so under the cigar label is the colour it was when poured but above & below that it's considerably darker. I guess if I was a bit more together I'd put them away unlabelled so if they are kept in the dark they might not discolour so badly, but then I'd forget what I'd made or lose them for a while!

The vanilla discolouring isn't ugly in my candles it makes the soy a deeper colour but I'm not sure what they'd be like if I dyed them.

Enjoy your chandling & fingers crossed all will go well.

Oh & I just remembered, if you make votives or use wick sustainers in your pillars they can rust over time too so it might be an idea to store these without their wicks & just put them in just before they go out for sale.

Sally x

Love, light & lather.
www.findhornbaysoaps.co.uk
halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »

ooo, really good tips - thanks, Sally! great info on the vanilla - I don't color mine either so it's good to know what to expect. I have an eggnog FO that I love - happy to have it burning in the spring, even! but I've not had one long enough to know if it discolors! thank you  :buttrf:

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 09:29:55 PM »

Thanks for that I hadnt had vanill along enough to know it discolours partly because it makes me sneeze and I only did it for custom orders. Ooops

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »

I think it discolors after you burn it (just the part that melts) but if it discolors evenly when stored I think that would be okay.

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: