MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
December 04, 2020, 12:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326836 Posts in 22247 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  Wick Woes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Wick Woes  (Read 13493 times)
Menolly

Obedient women are never remembered in History

« on: March 06, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »

Made my first EcoSoy ExCel "container" candle yesterday - and boy did I get the wick size wrong  Embarrassed Cry Cry
Burn test gave me a 1.5" diameter wax pool in a jar that was 3" diameter and that'll teach me to check wick sizes with container diameters. It is a pity, because the fragrance (when you get your nose over the candle, that is) is lovely (lemongrass, basil and lime EOs) and I think with the correct wick, the throw would've been quite good .

Ah well, will recycle the wax and start over when I get the correct wicks (ordered 'em last night).

Does anyone have any good tips re: preventing the container candles cooling too quickly? I made teacup candles yesterday too, and have the dreaded crack circling the wick on two of them. The last one was poured at a much lower temperature and hasn't cracked round the wick but IS cracking round the sides of the teacups. I have ordered some EcoSoy Advanced to see whether this makes a difference.

http://www.greenwitchcrafts.co.uk
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:24:51 PM »

I have never had a problem with soy wax cracking or sinking around the wick. What temperature did you heat to?

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Menolly

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »

Hi, Suzanne

The wax was heated to 175F - I wonder whether we poured it too hot and should have let it cool a lot more than we did - we poured around 145F (can you telll I have a Fahrenheit-only thermometer  Wink)
The kitchen wasn't particularly warm yesterday evening - just wonder whether this could've had an effect too as the instruction sheet I've just found on the NGI wax site says the candles should be cooled at ambient temperatures of 70F (21C)

All help and suggestions gratefully received!

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »

145F is about 63C so it should have been ok.  I don't heat it much more than that though. Did you heat the teacups?

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
Menolly

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »

Hi, Suzanne

Yes, I did initially heat the teacups (and the containers) but the teacups had probably cooled down a fair bit by the time we poured the wax. Do you pre-heat?

EcoSoy Excel says you shouldn't need to pre-heat the containers, but I think we will next time round. They also say that it is single-pour but I'm none too convinced at the moment.

I wonder if our initial melt temp was too high at 175F - hmmmmm

What soy wax do you use?

Thanks for your help  Grin

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »

I get my wax from 4candles. They recommend heating the glasses to 30 degrees. The wax they sell is from NGI so I guess it is the same as you are using.

Might be a daft questions but are you using container wax?

Henry Ward Beecher
Menolly

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:09:32 PM »

Hi, Suzanne

Not a daft question, but yes, it is container wax (from 4 candles) - I think the problem may be three-fold..........we poured the wax too hot, the containers were not warm enough and the room was too cold so the candles cooled too quickly. As for the wicks, well I definitely had a senior moment when I ordered them  Embarrassed Embarrassed

What temps do you use to melt/pour/cool?

Hugs, Pam

Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:38:10 PM »

I always use to warm the containers in the gas oven , mark 3 whilst I was haeting the wax and from memory use a lx22 in that size container. I never had a problemm with containe wax pulling back.

You may have to do afair bit of wick experimenation with advanced eco soy. Just do enough for one container candle. It can bea bugger

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
Menolly

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »

Hi, Michelle and Suzanne!

Thanks for all your help - will be donning my white coat and experimenting later today
(mwah-ha-ha-ha - Igor, pass me the wick!)

Hugs, Pam

Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:54:51 AM »

Oh I sympathise with you Menolly, I have been trying to learn how to make soy container candles too.  I have just bought a load of different sized wick samples from 4candles.

I always get a problem with the wax cracking, not necessarily around the wick, sometimes straight across the top or near the edges.  I followed some advice i read somewhere that said pre-heating containers was not necessary with the wax I was using, but I think I will disregard this advice & heat them next time!
alishelly
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »

Found this on the candle science website, its worth a look  Cheesy
www.candlescience.com/video/choosing-the-right-wick-size.php
retropants
Hero+ Member

pant-tastic

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »

did you know that you have to use a larger wick with soy waxes? I always use bigger than stated, and test a few times too. If my house is cold when I pour the candles, I pop the tray of setting candles over or near a radiator, so that they cool down more slowly. this helps minimise cracking, which i used to get a lot. I never preheat the jars either.

Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »

If my house is cold when I pour the candles, I pop the tray of setting candles over or near a radiator, so that they cool down more slowly. this helps minimise cracking, which i used to get a lot. I never preheat the jars either.

Thanks for that tip retro!
Menolly

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »

Oh I sympathise with you Menolly, I have been trying to learn how to make soy container candles too.  I have just bought a load of different sized wick samples from 4candles.

Ha! So have I.....I WILL crack this problem (please forgive the unintentional pun!)

I always get a problem with the wax cracking, not necessarily around the wick, sometimes straight across the top or near the edges. 

It's a pain, isn't it - especially when they look fine after pouring then go all cracked a couple of hours later  Angry

Menolly

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »

If my house is cold when I pour the candles, I pop the tray of setting candles over or near a radiator, so that they cool down more slowly. this helps minimise cracking, which i used to get a lot. I never preheat the jars either.

Now, that's a good idea, retro - perhaps I should tray them up and pop them into the (cool )oven that I have used to warm the containers! This shouldn't affect the wicks, should it?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: