MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
February 26, 2020, 11:51:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326753 Posts in 22234 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Candles, Home & Home Fragrancing
| |-+  General Candles & Home Discussion
| | |-+  soy wax candles- to colour or not to colour
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: soy wax candles- to colour or not to colour  (Read 1975 times)
alishelly
« on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »

Title says it all, personally I prefer uncoloured candles, but from a sales point of view I am wondering if they would be more appealing if they were coloured, what do others think ?
Eva
Hero+ Member

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »

Colours, if they are to have different scents.

Relief for asthma, headache and allergies
Herbalator
Eire
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »

Uncoloured for me personally. But colour does seem to sell. I don't think it's that simple though, it may depend on what else you are selling and how you pull your ranges together.

Eire

Mrs Green Hearts

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

i have this dilemma too. So far all the ones I have made are uncoloured.
 :buttrf:

alishelly
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »

Hi Eva
Yes they will have different scents I am thinking of having different 'ranges', the first one will be an 'English Country Garden ' range.
Eire, I think I am going to concentrate solely on the candles for a while and possibly pull in some other products at a later date when they are established.
rens-hens,
 its a difficult one isn't it, I just think that if everything was uncoloured it would maybe make the range look very bland, I suppose one solution would be to get some really nice labels etc ....any designers out there Huh?
Alphya
Hero+ Member

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »

I think it depends on your target market, and the fragrances you're using. A lot of floral and natural-scented candles are plain, but if you're using fruity and foody scents, then I think there is more appeal when they're coloured.

May the flowers we plant today become a Rose garden tomorrow.
http://www.delectablesoap.co.uk
halfabubbleoffplumb
Hero+ Member

rooibos sandalwood

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »

I don't color mine. I think it depends, like Alphya said, on your target market, and how all of the elements will go together. I think candles, for some, are home dec. items. So, mine are large, to last a while; uncolored, because I prefer them that way and because then they'll coordinate more easily with other decor items; relatively expensive, because I can't deal in volume right now and they're large with realtively expensive packaging and are heavily fragranced; and no label on the jar itself because I think "who wants to decorate with a product label?". I think mine are a little more "grown-up" if that's the right word? But, I can absolutely see fun, smaller, brightly colored, awesome label - more "youthful" range, too. Just depends on target market and what really makes you happy. HTH

http://www.facebook.com/watershedsoapsandlotion
Vanilla
Hero+ Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »

I prefer uncoloured, I do think they look more 'grown-up'!  I can't add much to what's been said, i think there's some really good points to consider there, & it depends a lot on your target market.
Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:53:51 PM »

I prefer uncoloured. No chance of them clashing with decor.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
LimeBlossom
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »

If you are making container candles, colour can affect your wick performance. You will need to do test burns for each colour.
I colour my wax tarts/melts but leave the containers uncoloured and try to have the lables catch peoples eyes....

Let us know what you are going to do.....with pics... :buttrf:
Michelle
senior
Hero+ Member

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:22:47 PM »

I like them uncoloure too as soy is sucja a lovely creamy colour. This can have its advantages.
If you are merchandising your products by going down organic, freetrade, renewable route uncoloure is a plus. However you can differentiate the diferent frgarances by using a different coloured ribbon round it.

Having said that I found when I did container candles people wante em coloured, although I must confess mine tends to be on more pastel, muted side,

Think what im really trying to say what I use to sell wasnt always to my taste but due to the popullar demand of my customers.(But if anyone ever easks me to make a beep beep beep BLACK candle agin Il shove it whee the sun dont shine. I did manage it but neve ever again)

Life is for Living, laughing and loving
alishelly
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 06:39:46 PM »

Thankyou all so much for your comments I will get on with trialling some and post pics asap
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: