MainShopBlogForumHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login
May 29, 2020, 08:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length.
Self-registration is currently disabled. Please contact us directly if you wish to register for this forum
Search

News
Welcome to the Melting Pot Café, a forum dedicated to the cosmeholic who wants to talk bath, body and bubbles.  Our friendly community is growing and with the ideas, inspiration and experience all in one place, how appropriate the name Melting Pot. 

Whether you are just looking for a finished product, new to the craft or have years of experience, you will always be a welcomed new ingredient to our Melting Pot Smiley 

Don't forget to visit our main site where you will find lots of resources, recipes, Fresholi community and supplies!!  (Accessed via the green menu bar above)

Stats
326819 Posts in 22243 Topics by 401 Members
Latest Member: Loopylou
+  Fresholi | Melting Pot Café
|-+  Swaps, Trades & For Sale
| |-+  Things for Sale & Special Members Offers!
| | |-+  Sodium Lactate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Sodium Lactate?  (Read 1107 times)
Honey
Hero+ Member

« on: October 30, 2010, 09:30:57 PM »

Anyone have some I could buy from you? I only want to try a bit out to see how it goes, before buying too much or paying higher delivery costs.

Also, seems to say you can use up to 2% .. is that of your oil weight or total weight? And you add the powder to the water (pre lye) right?

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »

Honey, the usage % depends on the SL you get. The one from SBC has a different usage rate than the one from GF. I have not got a jug big enough for all the water, so in one jug I dissolve the lye and in the other the SL. I use 0.5% of the SL I get from SBC. I think that I read somewhere that it can mage CP soap a bit brittle but I could have that wrong.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
Honey
Hero+ Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »

GF don't have it right now.  I read up to 2% .. I'm only doing 600g oil weight batches at the mo so not a huge amount of water involved. 

Basically I want to do swirls and I haven't been able to manage it yet and the SL will help keep the batter more liquid so I can try it .. plus I like a really hard bar which this will give. 

Do you work your 0.5% on the oil weight or total weight?

Suzanne
senior
Hero+ Member

scent-trail.blogspot.com

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »

I tried the GF one and it did not suit me. Probably just me being a muppet.

I think that the SBC SL says 0.5 - 1.5% (but am not sure without looking). You work it out on the total weight. It works out about a teaspoon for a 1.5kg batch. It does keep the soap more fluid for longer.

The diameter of each day is measured by the stretch of thought - not by the rising and setting of the sun.
                  Henry Ward Beecher
scenttrailblog.wordpress.com/ moonsongdesigns.wordpress.com
EJ
Global Mod Award Winner
Hero+ Member

HP Soap is NOT rough and soft!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »

I have some GF if you like to compare.

I use 2 - 3% of the oils weight then dilute in 5 x that of water from the lye allowance and add at light trace.

For HP mind, don't know what it's like in CP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: